Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #1

slack in the chain

Adjusted my chain today so it has 3/8 inch slack in the chain. This is well within spec, but it's much less slack than I usually do (the manual says 5 - 15 mm or .2 - .6 of an inch, and I've always stayed toward the high end of that range). I noticed that it "seemed" to shift smoother, which is what I was after. Anybody have an opinion on this? I know too tight a chain can be worse in some ways than too loose.

Keith

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-27-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: slack in the chain

You are probably better off shooting for the 15 mm setting. Too tight and accelerated wear will be a result.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
You are probably better off shooting for the 15 mm setting. Too tight and accelerated wear will be a result.
But if 15mm is the upper limit and you try to set it there...........excessive visits to keep it there might be the result. :??:

It is absolutely true that TOO tight is not good for a couple of reasons but I don't consider adjusting toward the low end of the recommendation to be "too tight". :cool:

Old 04-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
dannylightning

i tensioned mine. i think it did seem to ride a bit smoother after i got it right.. i think i had about 1.5 inch of slack when i got the bike..i tensioned it on the low end recommendation and it seemed to be too tight. i took a ride and it just didn't feel right when i hit a big bump in the road. so i came back and gave it about three quarters of a inch slack and it rides great.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
i tensioned mine. i think it did seem to ride a bit smoother after i got it right.. i think i had about 1.5 inch of slack when i got the bike..i tensioned it on the low end recommendation and it seemed to be too tight. i took a ride and it just didn't feel right when i hit a big bump in the road. so i came back and gave it about three quarters of a inch slack and it rides great.
Exactly why I would shoot for the larger number. This is personal preference of course. Comes from a fear of repeating what I did to my first bike and a really tight chain.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
David Bo

I just adjusted mine to 15mm. I think I was riding around with it too tight before (probably about 1/2 that).
Old 08-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
tommygun

Hey Guys I need some help. I think I just need a new chain but wanted to check with the pros first.

Noticed some slack in my chain and went to tighten it up. problem is i am at the complete back of my axle/ rear forks (not sure of exact term). I am at the very last set of notches and the chain is still quite slack. My bike is a 2008. i bought it last June and have 14000 miles on it. The chain is just over a year only but had had it's share of miles. Do I need a new chain or am i missing something? :??:
Old 08-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Sarris

It's either worn out or the wrong chain length.

Get an o-ring chain. They retain lubrication better and are smoother and quieter than stock.

:2tup:
Old 08-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
tommygun

Well, it must be worn cuz the chain came with the 2008 bike which is quite new! The o ring chain sound like a winner i guess I will have to do that. Is this standard wear (14000 miles) for a year old chain?
Old 08-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
Sarris

Mine was replaced at 12k. OEM chains don't last, but with proper maintenance you could get 20k on an o-ring chain if you don't snatch on it too much.

:biggrin: