Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 05-05-2007, 03:27 AM   #1
1Rogue

Cleaning chain

OK, newbie question #1.

It doesn't look like the chain on the bike I just got has ever been cleaned. It has alot of gunk. The question is, how do you clean the chain? The service manual says to inspect and clean chain when needed or at certain intervals, as well as saying to use kerosene, but it doesn't say how. I read a post here on lubing the chain but I didn't get much out on cleaning it. This may be common knowledge but I'm in the dark.

Please advise on any tools, procedures or anything extra needed. Thanks in advance.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Bill

First check out the post on motorcycle jack stands here in General Maintenance. It is easy to build and will prove valuable from now on as you work on and clean your bike.
I use kerosene to clean. DO NOT use gasoline. I also cover the rear tire and wood stand with a plastic bag to keep the dripping off the wheel. No need to do more cleaning than necessary. I also use a cleaning brush with stiff bristles. I bought a couple at a flea market for a dollar each. It has the wooden handle with the bristles that stick straight out from the end about 3 inches. Then it is dip in the kerosene and brush and dab the chain at the rear to clean the teeth on the sprocket too. Repeat as you turn the wheel. Then use lots of paper towels or rags to wipe down. Messy job! I keep hoping that there would be an easier and less messy way. I would not recommend buying any cleaning system with fancy expensive equipment. There just not worth the money. They only take money out of your pocket and it is still messy.
I also use chain wax but everyone has their own preference.

Cheers!
Old 05-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Filthy chain syndrome you say. Been there done that too. To keep mess off the floor and prevent tracking the crap around I found a cheap solution. Bought a couple cheap plastic paint trays, placed them end to end under the chain a had a go at it. Kerosene and a cheap brush go a long way. Paper towels to wipe up the mess on the parts, drop into the trays when finished and slide them into a garbage bag for disposal. It is penny tech not brain surgery so just plan to wash your hands after not before. Oh yah, don't smoke, kerosene fumes could do you in.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Bill

I forgot - Buy some Nitrille gloves (like latex but stronger and non-allergenic). The ones I have are light blue. A nice manly color. :roll: I don't know for sure but maybe a place like Harbor Freight would have a box pretty cheap. Sure beats trying to scrub grease from under fingernails. I keep a couple of pairs in my saddle bags too for on the road (just in case - you never know when they might come in handy).

Cheers!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #5
1Rogue

Thanks!

.. Bill and Water Warrior for the tips. That was a mess but it's done. I don't think it had been cleaned since purchase.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:49 AM   #6
Badbob

This is how I do it.

Kerosene! Nothing works better. Diesel fuel may be cheaper and/or easier to get and its pretty much the same thing with taxes. Kerosene is also good for cleaning road grime off your wheels.

Soak the chain with kerosene. I use an acid brush for this. Cut a terrycloth towel into small pieces and wipe. When the towel gets loaded throw it away and get a clean piece. Repeat until its clean wipe it down with a dry towel and oil the chain. This is much easier to do with the chain guard removed.

I don't like brushes because they splatter oil and dirt all over. Maybe I just to clumsy. Terrycloth will get into the corners just fine. Don't use a new towel unless your into lint.

I also suggest the Nitrile gloves: http://tinyurl.com/a6pcm This is dirty work.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
1Rogue

Yes, the hardest part of the cleaning was finding the kerosene anywhere near me. It had been so long since I bought any I didn't realize how little it is used now days.

I wish I knew the terrycloth idea before hand. While the stiff bristle brush worked well, I came back in the house looking like I showered in the grease. So evidently I am just as clumsy as you Badbob. The Nitrile gloves were a good tip too. Of course when I took them off, my hands were the only thing not gunk splattered.

After reading the post on lubing the chain I did use the towel idea soaked in oil to oil the chain. Which made it very easy.

Thanks again for all the tips!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Since you have it covered, I'll just add that latex gloves work well and they are disposable. A large box might run you $12 but they last forever and you can use them on other bike/car work that would otherwise leave you with oil/grease covered nails.
the blue goves are probably just as effective, but I don't think they're as cheap or disposable.

-Jonathan
Old 05-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
blue goves are probably just as effective, but I don't think they're as cheap or disposable.
Nitrile gloves are more effective than latex. Some solvents will go right through latex and some of them will destroy it in a matter of seconds. They are also more resistant to puncture and abrasion. Unfortunately solvents will eventually get through Nitrile but it takes a lot longer.

Thee are more expensive per glove but they last longer. I wait until HF puts them on sale at a good price and stock up.

I also keep Nitrile gloves under the seat on my bike. They take up almost no room and keep you from getting nasty when you need to make a roadside adjustment in the middle of no where.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #10
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Rogue
So evidently I am just as clumsy as you Badbob.
As I recall I ruined a shirt the first time I tried using a brush.

Some times when the chain isn't very dirty I just clean it with oil.