Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 05-30-2007, 11:40 PM   #21
Bill

I'm 2 blocks from the ocean. that's why I use chain wax. Seems to do alright.

Cheers!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-31-2007, 06:06 AM   #22
Badbob

We don't have anything but sand. It's not been a problem unless I get off the pavement.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:22 AM   #23
Gadzooks Mike

I use PJ1 chain wax. The Suzuki dealer here recommended it, and it seems to work ok. With wax, you just have to watch for build-up, but if you clean it off good and then apply it right, you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:45 AM   #24
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzooks Mike
I use PJ1 chain wax.
I have used this. I stopped for several reasons:

I found it expensive when compared to oil. The oil I use costs about $2 per quart. I can get it anywhere and its something I would need even if I didn't have a bike.

Difficult to apply with out getting it on something I don't want it on.

Although the manufacturer claims it is safe for oring chains Suzuki says to use oil.

Its not available locally so I would have to order it making it cost even more. About $15.00 for a single can when you include shipping. This would decrease with a larger order but its still way more expensive than oil.

Its harder to remove than oil. Not as messy though.

Its an aerosol. I don't like aerosols. They waste a lot of the product and I'm concerned about inhaling things I don't want in my lungs. You need/should to wear eye protection to use it.

When I travel oil is relatively easy to carry and can be purchased inexpensively along the way if I should need it. A few small patches of terry cloth soaked with oil in an oil tight container will last me for a few thousand miles of riding and take up very little room. An added advantage is that you can clean your chain and lube it as well using oil. Kerosene is essentially very light oil. Assuming the chain isn't loaded with gunk that needs some kerosene to remove.

I found people who used chain wax for years and switched to oil that said their chains lasted much longer using oil.

Oil will free up sticky links. Chain wax will not. I've done this.

I'm not saying you should not use it just giving you some of my reasons for deciding not to use it after trying it for a while. I have some left if your in the local area I'll give it to you.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #25
jake

in the process of cleaning my chain with kerosene, stopped for passing thunderstorm. how do you guys dispose of the dirty kerosene? doesn't seem like enough to take to a disposal site but don't want to blow up my house either. i'm such a girl.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #26
Gadzooks Mike

Well, Jake, I just pour the kerosene onto a shop rag and clean the chain with it. When I'm done, I let the rag dry and if it isn't too dirty, use it again the next time. If it is too dirty, I get rid of the rag, again after it dries out some.

Bob, after all the reading here, I'm nearly convinced to change to oil for the chain. I used up my can of PJ1 and then tried the Suzuki spray (looks and seems like the same thing, but less expensive - really!) but oil just seems to make more sense. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #27
El_Shorto

Just FYI, if you burn the extra/dirty kerosene outside, you wont have a problem. It doesnt explode like gasoline, just burns. I usually burn it off a little at a time in a coffee can.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #28
jake

well, mike, i must have had a real cruddy chain because i used way more than a rag and had a lot of drippage. i'm not sure this thing had ever been cleaned. maybe next time it'll be a one rag job! i wasn't sure if you could safely burn it with all of the grease and stuff in it but that sounds like a good plan. thanks!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #29
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzooks Mike
Well, Jake, I just pour the kerosene onto a shop rag and clean the chain with it. When I'm done, I let the rag dry and if it isn't too dirty, use it again the next time. If it is too dirty, I get rid of the rag, again after it dries out some.

Bob, after all the reading here, I'm nearly convinced to change to oil for the chain. I used up my can of PJ1 and then tried the Suzuki spray (looks and seems like the same thing, but less expensive - really!) but oil just seems to make more sense. Thanks!
I've been real happy with the 90W gear lube for more than a year now. When I run out of 90W I'm going to try some 140W.

I started with PJ1 (Blue I think) I never finished the can.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #30
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Shorto
Just FYI, if you burn the extra/dirty kerosene outside, you wont have a problem. It doesnt explode like gasoline, just burns. I usually burn it off a little at a time in a coffee can.
I've done this many times, but now I just pour it into my waste oil containers.

Most of the time I just wet the towel with it so the only dirty kerosene in on the towel which thrown it out.