Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 08-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
burkbuilds

Traffic jams & "riding the shoulder"

Yesterday I got stuck in a major traffic jam on I-75 near the I-24 split. I don't know what was causing the problems but traffic was crawling for miles, stop and go maybe 5mph top speed at best. There were 4 highway lanes and a full shoulder on each side. The shoulder outside the "fast lane" has a concrete barrier wall separating it from traffic going the opposite direction. It was hot, mid 90's no breeze and 80% humidity and I thought about getting onto one of the shoulder lanes and riding down past the traffic jam until I noticed this. A man was riding the shoulder on a big bike with a girl doubled up behind him, they were probably going about 20 mph down through there and in about 1/4 mile I saw 4 automobile veer out and try to hit him or drive him into the concrete barrier wall. Man, how crazy are these people? Who was that guy hurting by riding down the shoulder? I couldn't believe these cars were trying to hurt this guy just because he wasn't going to sit in traffic with them because he had other "options". After seeing that I decided to just take my lumps with the heat and wait it out. Took me about 45 minutes to go a mile.

Any of you guys ever had cars try to make you wreck on purpose?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Sarris

Re: Traffic jams & "riding the shoulder"

Some cage drivers are assholes and just hate bikes and bikers. In 35 yrs. of riding I've seen it all.

My favorite riding phrase is "The best way to get someone in front of you to speed up is to try to pass them". They'll hit the gas 90% of the time to keep you from going around them. People pass me all the time and then slow down just because the don't want a motorcycle in front of them. Or the drag race to merge 2 to one lanes. Or block you with the cage to keep you from getting by. Or twitch the steering wheel when you go by (a REAL panny pisser). SOS.

I take the tact to just pull over and let the asshole pass and get some distance on me. It ain't worth starting a fight you can't win. The cage ALWAYS wins.

BTW, in most states it is illegal to cross the white line to use the shoulder to pass other traffic. How do I know?? I got a $125 ticket for the same damn thing two years ago. I tried to go around backed-up traffic to get to the right turn lane. I only passed 25 cars or so. OOPS. The 17 year old FHP ocifer was not amused.

:jo: :jo: :jo: :jo:
Old 08-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
burkbuilds

I didn't realize that it was illegal to drive down the shoulder to get around a traffic jam, thanks for the heads up!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
I didn't realize that it was illegal to drive down the shoulder to get around a traffic jam, thanks for the heads up!
Been over this before.....maybe not on this board though.

The shoulders are EMERGENCY lanes....even in places where lane splitting/sharing or filtering is legal, driving/riding on the shoulder is NOT. WHY ?? Because when traffic is backed up due to an accident the Police, Ambulance, and Tow Trucks need some way to get to the accident. Having motorcycles in those lanes just encourages cages to do it too and soon........ALL the lanes are blocked. I've seen it happen in Chicago.......where we seem to have more than our fair share of total morons.

It might seem stupid if you are on a bike stuck in the backup. I doesn't seem NEARLY as stupid if you are IN the accident and your survival depends on getting rapid help.

Now if you can SEE an exit ahead and it is open, then I think that is another matter entirely.
Not within the letter of the law but in "most" cases probably wouldn't raise anybody's ire.......including the LEO's.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

I got a ticket in a cage going over a double line insulating a huge empty center lane to get to an empty left turn lane a few cars ahead. Basically, if california needs money, they just wait at poorly designed intersections and ticket all day.

(And these days, they need a LOT of money. Got a ticket in Feb for going 75 in a 70. Cost me $300 for the ticket, got a point on my license and my insurance went up. Thirty seconds after I got the ticket I was back on the same road driving 75 with people passing me on both sides. Short version, traffic tickets have become another form of taxes out here.)

Old 08-15-2009, 03:47 AM   #6
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Got a ticket in Feb for going 75 in a 70.
I sympathise. Last month I got a 100 euro ($140) fine for going 11 kilometers per hour (6mph) over the limit. It seems that every country in the world is learning that motorists are an easy touch. It's going to get even worse over here. I was reading in the newspaper, a while ago, about changes that are going to come into force from next year. One of them is that they will fine you for going ONE kilometer per hour over the limit. (don't forget that 1 km/hr is 1/6 of 1mph. Wish my speedo was as accurate as their radar!) What's the odds that the accident rate will soar when people start spending more time watching their speedo than the road ahead? BTW, the road where I was fined was clear of traffic (except for the police car hidden in a gas station entrance), the weather was perfect, I could see ahead for nearly a mile, & anyway, I didn't do it deliberately, the speed just crept up while I was looking ahead. O_o
Old 08-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
(don't forget that 1 km/hr is 1/6 of 1 mph.)
Typo ??
Without looking it up, my guess would be more like 5/6 of 1 mph.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
alantf

yes, my mistake. 1 km/hr = 0.6214 mph, i.e. just over 3/5 of 1 mph
Old 08-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

The Metric system was forced down our throats in the late 70s and I still find myself mentally converting to the old system on a daily basis. I used to have to do conversions to liters, U.S. gallons and Imperial (Canadian) gallons as part of my job. We did lab work in Metric and various suppliers were still in Imperial or U.S. Equipment was a variety of everything for many years before it was all upgraded. Weights and volumes made a scientific calculator a must have item to be correct. All I really know is my Vstrom 650 is too heavy to pick up with one hand.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
magnum44270

of course its illegal, and stupid. you are no different than any other vehicle on the road, dont be one of those a$$holes riding down the shoulder or cutting between lanes!