Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 04-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
dannylightning

the wind is sure giving me some major trouble today, blah

a super nice day out but we got some 30 some mph winds and i do not appreciate my bike leaning sideways every 3 seconds especially when the wind seems to be blowing in different directions a big gust from the left and than one to the right and when i was stopped at a traffic light it was trying to blow me over.

tomorrow is going to be nice around 75 but the temps are suposd to drop down the the low 60's and than down to the 40's no fun. but a few nice days in the 80's were great while they lasted.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: the wind is sure giving me some major trouble today, bla

Here too...we're gusting to over 45mph. Just keep loose on the bars and stay in the middle of your lane and you should be able to handle most of what it throws at you. It's tough though and I've actually been staying in a little because of it.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
Fish Baseball

We've been copping a fair bit of wind down here in Australia as well, add to that storms, hail and lightning. Love riding in the rain! But on a serious note, just means take it a lot easier and don't lean so far into the corners I guess.....and watch out for tram tracks, cause metal rails in the wet don't seem to offer a great deal of traction....

Old 04-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Baseball
and watch out for tram tracks, cause metal rails in the wet don't seem to offer a great deal of traction....
5X dangerous if wet and you are crossing at an angle.

10X dangerous if it is early morning in the winter and crossing at an angle, as they retain frost a LOT longer than the roadway under some conditions.

TWO undie stains in rapid succession as the front tire skips to the side a bit, followed immediately by the back doing the same thing. :skull:
Old 04-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Here too...we're gusting to over 45mph. Just keep loose on the bars and stay in the middle of your lane and you should be able to handle most of what it throws at you. It's tough though and I've actually been staying in a little because of it.

it's probably not as bad as it seems, but it is kind of scary, i just worry ill be leaning around a turn and that big gust will take me down, probably piss off all the traffic but i was taking corners quite slowly

there were a lot of guys out there riding in that wind but i prefer not to ride in it, kind of takes the fun out of it, i think

Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
diffluere

Also, if you have a jacket that zips or buttons up off to the side...the wind can get in! I have a new Icon jacket that looks like a pea coat, and the other day the wind was gusting 22mph, and it kept going in my coat and pushing me around more. I had to stop and button it up all of the way to my neck to keep from making a parachute!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I have a Fieldsheer 3/4, and with the vents open, I look like the Michelin-man riding down the road. It's like I'm wearing a giant airbag.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
music man

I have a jacket like that too, it is not a motorcycle jacket, but it is warm as hell. I tried to wear it one time on my bike and you would have thought I weighed 400 pounds.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffluere
Also, if you have a jacket that zips or buttons up off to the side...the wind can get in! I have a new Icon jacket that looks like a pea coat, and the other day the wind was gusting 22mph, and it kept going in my coat and pushing me around more. I had to stop and button it up all of the way to my neck to keep from making a parachute!
where did you get that icon pea jacket, you got any kind of internet link for it, i want something along those lines.

if i cold find a dickies style jacket that was warm with a zip out liner, made out of the right material, plain black and has armor i would be super happy.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
diffluere

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... acket.aspx

This jacket isn't as warm as my waterproof FieldSheer jacket, but it's nice to wear when it's a little bit chilly or windy outside. The pads that came in it are a lot better than the foam ones that came in the FS jacket though. I don't think there's a male version of it, but if I ever see one I'll let you know!

edited for brainfarts