Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 04-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
bonehead

Re: NHTSA motorcycle accident statistics for 2008

+1 Music Man. People just don't pay attention to their surroundings.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
burkbuilds

I'll have to agree with you music man, I've had more people pull out in front of me when I was driving my pickup truck than when I was on my motorcycle. As you point out, in the truck I lock up the brakes, blow the horn, roll my eyes at the idiot that just did that and a few minutes later I've forgotten all about it, probably because even if I hit him with my truck I'm not likely to suffer any major bodily harm, whereas on my motorcycle it would most likely kill me or at least seriously injure me if I were to hit him broadside.
On the opposite side, I'll have to admit that I have also pulled out in front of a car I didn't see a few times in my life while driving my car/truck. I think it mostly happened to me when I was a younger, less experienced driver who was also in more of a hurry than I am now-a-days, and when I was probably concentrating on something else other than driving the car. Having a few "close calls" like that and a few more years under my belt, plus having lived long enough to see the serious consequences of those type of poor driving habits, has helped make me a more aware driver. I also think that riding the motorcycle has made me an extremely more aware driver no matter what I'm driving. I find myself constantly appraising my driving situation and looking out for things that might happen and thinking about how to avoid putting myself in a bad spot no matter what I'm driving.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
BillInGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
I also think that riding the motorcycle has made me an extremely more aware driver no matter what I'm driving. I find myself constantly appraising my driving situation and looking out for things that might happen and thinking about how to avoid putting myself in a bad spot no matter what I'm driving.
My thoughts exactly. Driving in Atlanta traffic for the past 15 years, I've learned that you have keep your head on a swivel no matter what you're driving and anticipate that someone may do something stupid at any moment.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
dhgeyer

Perhaps I should have said "training drivers to pay attention". The conventional wisdom is that people are less likely to see motorcycles. This may be because they have a smaller silhouette from the front. My favorite theory is that you are more likely to see something if you are half expecting to see it, or if it's a more familiar or even threatening object. I have always assumed that the conventional wisdom is correct, but I don't know if that particular issue has been studied.

What we do know is that a lot of motorcyclists die or are injured because people don't see them. Whether they would have seen a car under the same circumstances is largely irrelevant to me.

I still advocate stiff penalties, enforced, for any driver who causes an accident with a motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian. I advocate this because we are more likely to be hurt or killed than another car driver, and it is therefor more imperative that people see us.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
mrlmd1

That's why I put on the headlight and brakelight modulators on my S50 - to try and make myself as visible as possible to those who may not pay attention or don't see me for whatever reason. There's no excuse for that.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Lots of stuff to agree with and comment about.
Better moto training, A one or two day training session is not enough.
Train cagers to see smaller vehicles
Make your bike as big as possible and as bright as possible. Modulators, driving lights, saddle bags and big wide crash bars. DayGlo colors if you are so inclined.
Stiffer penalties for those found at fault in all accidents. No-Fault insurance is another kettle of fish.
Far better and more stringent driver/rider tests for anyone wanting a license. Make people really earn that priviledge, it is not a right.
Part of the licensing process should be a graduated size thing. It works elsewhere so why not North America. Earn your ride.