Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 08-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Mesh and mountains

Plan on doing some riding in hot weather coming up in a week and I've heard many on here sing the praises of "mesh" jackets. In California, especially in the mountains and "high Desert" it's common for temperatures to be in the high 90's during the day and then drop to the fifties at night. I'm wondering - can one get away with "just" a mesh jacket if one plans on riding at night? Also, temperatures can be a lot cooler (sometimes downright cold) near the ocean and hotter than hell ten miles inland. Right now I have an ICON motorhead leather armored jacket (with a zip out liner) that I am happy with, but it does get hot. I don't take the liner with in the summer - just add layers if it gets cool. But it's not so good in the heat.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
BillInGA

Re: Mesh and mountains

I wore a mesh jacket out to Colorado - a life-saver in the heat. When the weather gets cool I add the windbreaker liner and, if necessary, a fleece pullover. That combination works for me down to about 60 degrees without a windshield and well into the 50's with a windshield. I also switch from leather gloves to insulated cold weather gloves.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Thanks Bill. Colorado has similar temp swings to CA. I've got some monster gloves I picked up one day when I was out early one morning with OCHoosier. My hands were freezing that morning (probably was low 50's, maybe lower) but, as luck would have it, we stopped at Cook's corner and there was a Mom and Pop (actually Mom & Son) gear vendor set up there and I got these giant insulated gloves with rain baggies zipped into the wrists. I used them as recently as last week when I went from Solvang to Los padres after dark. I'll make sure if i get a mesh jacket it has the windbreaker liner.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
dhgeyer

The mesh jacket I just bought is BMW branded, available at their dealerships. It has a zip in lining that claims to be waterproof, although I have not tested that. At any rate, I am sure it would be fairly warm.

In any case, a mesh motorcycle jacket + a motorcycle rain jacket = a non-mesh motorcycle jacket, and will give you the greatest flexibility for riding in widely varying temps. If you are talking 40's and 50's you should look into heated jacket liners as well. Might be worth your while, might not, but definitely worth checking out. I have Gerbing, but there are other makers out there. I also have Gerbing's heated gloves, which plug into the jacket liner. That combination will keep you warm in very cold conditions.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Mesh and mountains

As it happens I have a very nice rain jacket that fits (snugly) over the icon jacket so it sounds like I have half of what I'll need. I've not yet worn the rain jacket in the field and won't mind if I never do but now it could have a new purpose.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
GZ Jess

I have a mesh jacket with a zip in water resistant liner. I like the mesh coat in T shirt temps and when I feel I have gotten to much sun or the bugs are bad. I like the liner when wearing a t shirt would be a little chilly and I wear a north face fleece under it when it is cold. I did get caught in the rain with it on (with the liner) and it did very well at keeping me dry on the top. I got the white First Gear one from New Enough for only $40 and it has removable armor too. I went with the white because it is not as hot in the sun. It has a ton of useful pockets and the option to zip to a pair of their pants.

Jessica
Old 08-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Thanks for the tip Jess.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
New GZ250

I wear a mesh jacket, ride in the Santa Cruz Mountains, I have been able to keep the wind breaker liner in all summer so far, but wear a sweat jacket under it when it's foggy (Cool) in the summit areas or along Highway 1. Mesh is great when the weather gets warmer!
Enjoy your trip!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:50 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

I have a bag full of rain liners that never get used. Just wearing a rain jacket and rain pants over whatever you have is fairly comfy. Mesh or textile jackets are great when a rain jacket cuts the cooler wind. Same goes for the pants/rain pants combo. I like the idea of this combo because I can also tailor my inside air flow by messing with vents in the jackets and pants. Rain suit: never leave home without it.
Zip in rain liners are great until you are sitting on a large rock on the side of the road in your underwear zipping in the pant liner. Been there done that.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:15 AM   #10
cayuse

I'm with WW. I have an Icon mesh jacket with zip in liner, and a large rain jacket that easily fits over the mesh. This afternoon in 80+F temps the liner was out and I was cool. Tonight, for the ride up in the hills (60F) I just pulled on the liner under the jacket and it was perfect. For foggy cool morning commutes when it gets down to ~40F I pull on the rain jacket over everything and I'm toasty.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA