Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 08-25-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
Zackman

Dirt on the Road

I wasn't sure if this was the right place for this post....but here I go.

I live in the desert and it is common to have a little dirt on the road every once in a while. But the problem I am having is a collection of dirt in a turn. On some of the turns I frequent, there is a layer of dirt coming halfway into the turn.

On a few occasion I have gone into the turn and lost control a little bit as my rear wheel lost traction. I am getting a new set of Metzler tires (the ones that came with the bike are 8 years old :jawdrop and I am thinking this may help a little bit.

Any advice on dealing with dirt? (Other than bringing a broom and sweeping the turn before I go into it :lol: )

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-25-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Dirt on the Road

Sloooow doooooown. I get the same thing here with gravel in a couple areas where truckers drag their rigs along the edge of the curve and kick up stones. And they are such lovely curves to lean into too. Had a couple scares and now I just slow way down before I go down.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
dhgeyer

It's a big problem here in New England in the Spring and early Summer. They dump sand and salt all over the roads all Winter. The salt dissolves with the first rain or two, but the sand remains and piles up at the corners and curves, right where you don't want it, until it's swept up by the street sweeper. This can take until mid June on some of the tastiest back roads.

One of the questions posed by David L. Hough in one of his books is: "Can you name 20 road conditions that are of interest/concern to motorcyclists, that are not particularly important to double track vehicle (car) drivers?". I'm paraphrasing, of course, but you get the idea. Sand is definitely on that list, as is mud from farm vehicles, gravel from a good, hard rain, thick and slick painted road markings, RR tracks, bridge gratings, slick metal plates that cover temporary road repairs, and so on.

How many here can name 20 right off the top of your heads?

As WW points out quite correctly, if you value your hide more than your thrills, never put yourself in any situation, including in a curve or going over a hill, where you are going so fast that you can't stop within the distance for which you can see the road surface. Hough also mentions somewhere that, with all the things that he needs to concentrate on, fully half his attention is focused on the road surface up ahead.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
alanmcorcoran

...Leaves, roadkill, etc.

Zack - in addition to David L. Hough (one of the best imo) there are the Keith Code books (Twist of the Wrist.) Bottom line, road condition is one of the factors in the traction equation and a tricky one as it can often be a surprise. There are things you can do to minimize the effect (#1 being don't panic and clamp on the front brake) but going into the turn at slower speed is probably wisest. I encountered a lot of dirt, loose gravel and leaves on my trip and, mostly just tried to drive around/between it. I find it akin to driving in snow. It can be done, but you have to make adjustments for the lack of traction.

Here's one more to add to dh's list: Raised manholes in the center of the road. Cars go right over but bikes get launched into space. (Took me two flights to figure that one out.)
Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Bottom line, road condition is one of the factors in the traction equation and a tricky one as it can often be a surprise. There are things you can do to minimize the effect (#1 being don't panic and clamp on the front brake) but going into the turn at slower speed is probably wisest. I encountered a lot of dirt, loose gravel and leaves on my trip and, mostly just tried to drive around/between it.
Hey Alan, how was the road down into Cedar Grove? Did you stay down there very long?

Old 08-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

That was one of the better rides on the trip - see my road rankings in a previous post. The road was well maintained - no dirt or sand and at sunrise the scenery was awesome. (see photos at photobucket http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/ ... /CAMCtrip/ .) I am glad you recommended it. I got down there at 7:20am and they didn't serve breakfast until 8. whcih I waited for. then i hiked up to Cedar oVerlook with firelady Christie who was spotting the fire and then I continued on to lewis Creek trail (and saw the bear) and then back (8.5 miles.) from there I went to Road's end. and then reversed back up to Lake Hume Christian camp, where, Lord be praised, they sell gasoline. Between breakfast, the hike, telling the ranger my bear story and then going down to road's end, I was probably down there six hours or so. One of the best days on the trip!

Old 08-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Alan: What, no more Frequent Flyer Miles for you. You are right to ride around them and avoid the spine crunch. I sometimes use manhole covers to practice my weaving and avoidance skill but not in the wet. The only sure fire way to hit a manhole cover with no jar and flight is with a bike sporting at least 10 inches of suspension travel.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Dirt on the Road

I've cut my fly time in half by staying over every other weekend. Going to rent an Aero 750 on Sat and search for a non boring road in Chicago. My bike riding chums here tell me I've got my work cut out for me...
Old 08-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
I've cut my fly time in half by staying over every other weekend. Going to rent an Aero 750 on Sat and search for a non boring road in Chicago. My bike riding chums here tell me I've got my work cut out for me...
An Aero 750 will be a fly weight compared to the Strat. Gives us your impression when all is said and done.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Well, you had a bike riding "chum" in Illinios who could help you out......but you seem to be ignoring me lately, so............?????