Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2008, 12:57 AM   #1
fconti

New to forum

hello, I purchased a 2002, GZ-250 back in april '08 and have been enjoying it ever since, :2tup: The bike has great classic looks and feel and does a fine job on the streets. One problem with the cold weather mornings here in south Florida, i was told i needed to replace the Choke Lever,doesn't move, the bike sat for couple years in storage prior to my purchasing and rusted out the cable line. Any information regarding my replacing this Choke Lever Cable myself would be very appriciated. thanks, Frank, Deerfield Beach, Florida.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-06-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
Sarris

Re: New to forum

Welcome to the forum brother. You'll find the complete service manual here on site. Just go here http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27.

The site search works great as well and is located on the header bar just below the logo above. There is also a locator map here on site that you can put yourself on if you'd like. We need more Floridians!!!

Again welcome!

Old 12-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fconti
Any information regarding my replacing this Choke Lever Cable myself would be very appriciated. thanks, Frank, Deerfield Beach, Florida.
Welcome, Frank!

Yes, first get a service manual or download one from here.
Next, LOOK at the cable. Study where it runs and what it attaches to at each end.
ONLY YOU know how mechanically inclined you are.

From my personal perspective, it is something that I'm sure I could handle (have rebuilt whole engines before) but I probably would NOT because the dealer could probably do it in about 15 minutes and the cost should not be over $50 (labor only). It might take me 2 hours and I might overlook something important.

It depends on how adventurous you are and how much time and money you have.

***AND*** other things requiring lube are probably not in very good shape either. At a minimum, the clutch and throttle cables need some attention. How are the tires? Are they original ??

Old 12-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Welcome Frank. Can't help you with your question, but look forward to seeing how you get it resolved should I ever need to do the same.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Welcome. You have made the right choice to start your riding career. Stuck choke cable eh. Rather than replacing it right away try to lube it. I would start with Automatic transmission fluid. It will penetrate and hopefully free up the cable. Then follow up with a light oil. The rest of the cables might benefit from the same treatment. How many miles on the bike by the way ?? Color ?? We gotta know cus were snoopy.