Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
AZ_GZ250

New to me GZ250

I joined this forum a couple years ago when I was looking to buy a GZ for my brother in law in need of a small bike. Long story short I bought this bike for him and drove it 475 miles from AZ to LA, yep my back still hurt after 2 years!

He decided to sell it and my experience with it was so nice the weekend I had it in my house that I didn't hesitate and brought it back from LA (I used a shipper this time around). I have my daily bike so this would be a Cafe Project for me and my wife. I've seen some conversions already and look awesome.

I'm now in the process of doing some preventive maintenance before starting to tear it down.

I'm interested in all info I can use for the conversion, I'm handy and I plan to do it all, but I'm open to you guys suggestion and direction. I already saw a couple of cafe conversions here and on the web and they look great.

I will start searching the forum for a couple of ideas.

Awesome forum guys and I will keep you guys updated on my project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (89.3 KB, 24 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
alantf

Glad you didn't ride it back. That saddlebag looks dangerously close to the spokes! If you plan on keeping them, you'll need, at least, bag supports and a plate underneath to stop it getting burned by the exhaust. However, as you say it's a cafe/bobber project, I don't think you'll be leaving the bags on.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
AZ_GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
Glad you didn't ride it back. That saddlebag looks dangerously close to the spokes! If you plan on keeping them, you'll need, at least, bag supports and a plate underneath to stop it getting burned by the exhaust. However, as you say it's a cafe/bobber project, I don't think you'll be leaving the bags on.
You are right, and as you can see I already started getting rid of everything, trims, fender etcetera. Thank you for the observation though. You actually got me thinking.....I just put the rear wheel back after tightening up the spokes, and I was wondering how come these spokes were so lose? It was because the bags were hitting the spokes!

-Bled the front brake
- put axle grease to rear axle
- clean chain, still more cleaning is needed
- Stripped all chrome trim
- Check rear brake shoes
- remove fenders
- start taking measurements for the cafe tail

This is how it looks now.

Is there interest for fenders and everything else from this bike? I'm not sure if I want to get rid of everything right now, but I think it would sell it. I'm located in AZ if people want to make offer for the fenders, and all trim etcetera.

If there not powder coaters here, I do powder coating, contact me for pricing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).JPG (50.3 KB, 19 views)

Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Nice to have you return to us. Not into bobbers myself but it is always educational to watch others do their thing.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
AZ_GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Nice to have you return to us. Not into bobbers myself but it is always educational to watch others do their thing.
I'm not into bobbers either But I don want this cafe! Thank you for welcoming to this forum again! I like the speed of my ZX-10 but is nice to enjoy the ride in a loud, small reliable machine Love this bike already!

I taking my build one day a time and I'm working on a small budget (I was lucky enough my wife gave me the green light on a second bike), but I will post more later.

Currently looking for clip-ons and a tail section. I will sell all the chrome trim and fenders if anyone is interested.
1998 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - Sold
2000 Kawasaki ZX7 - Sold
2002 Honda VFR800 - Sold
2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R - Sold
2000 Ducatio 900SS - Sold
2003 Honda VFR800 ABS - Sold
1999 Ducati Monster 750 - Sold
2005 Kawasaki ZX-10R Best bike ever Daily driver
2006 Suzuki GZ250 - Current Cafe Project