Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #61
finallyinthesaddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
And I always do the oil-around-the-gasket thing too, since that's the way my dad taught me to install the filter on a car.
Ditto here.
My understanding is that the filter on a car, being screw-on, requires oil on it to ensure a smooth slide against the surface that it is tightening against. Being that this is held on with screws, and is merely pressed against a solid surface, that wouldn't be necessary.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #62
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
I doubt it could hurt though. A better seal is still a better seal.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #63
finallyinthesaddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
I doubt it could hurt though. A better seal is still a better seal.
If nothing else it may keep the rubber a little more flexible.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #64
alanmcorcoran

Re: Change Your Oil (hey jonathan.)

Hey Jonathan,

I noticed in your photo at the top of this thread that you had what looked like "homemade" jackstands (or at least one of them) underneath the frame of the GZ. Look like they are made of pine or plywood. Can you post a close-up of the stand?

Dimensions, if you have them, woudl also be appreciated. Or if, there is a particular model of stands that works well for a GZ, I guess I could just buy a pair.

Since it appears that keeping the GZ level is an issue with oil changes, the height of the stands in that position seems important.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #65
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Since it appears that keeping the GZ level is an issue with oil changes,
No really it ISN'T.
Everything works quite good leaned over on the side stand and the filter even drains better that way (but it still is MESSY when you open the cover).

Two exceptions: To get out the last couple of ounces, you need to tip it upright for a few seconds while draining AND then again to check the sight glass when you think it might be getting full.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:00 AM   #66
Water Warrior 2

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyGrimrod
Great sticky but one more bump for suggesting an inclusion of something about the O-ring on the filter cap. Am I the only one obsessive enough to replace it and make sure its wet with a bit of fresh oil all the way around every time I change the oil? Of course I'm one of those saps who is willing to pay the extra $10 for motorcycle oil (yes its way to expensive but using so little of it) and the only possible difference would be its performance in direct metal on metal contact something one hopes never occurs between it and regular oil.
One of the great characteristics of a moto specific oil is greater shear strength. Oil shears when used in bike trannies. Amsoil M/C oil has the shear characteristics of a 90 weight gear oil. Don't know about the rest but they would be similar in my opinion if they are designed for bike trannies.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #67
music man

Re: Change Your Oil

A small piece of a 1"x4" under the kickstand is what i use to fill my bike back up with oil after an oil change, my bike sits almost perfectly level, just be careful, as it doesn't take much to knock it over at that point.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #68
Water Warrior 2

A hockey puck also works well.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #69
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Hey Jonathan,

I noticed in your photo at the top of this thread that you had what looked like "homemade" jackstands (or at least one of them) underneath the frame of the GZ. Look like they are made of pine or plywood. Can you post a close-up of the stand?

I made the stands based on these instructions:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=62

They worked very well. I wish I had spent the extra dough and purchased treated wood. They began to weather after the first year. They're still very usable though.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #70
alantf

Hey guys! Don't forget that when you're talking about quantities of oil (or any other liquid) the U.S. quantities are different to anywhere else in the world. i.e. an American gallon is different to an English gallon. Therefore if you mention quantities on this forum, don't forget that there may be people reading this from other parts of the world. For instance, when I do an oil change, it's 1400 ml of oil with a filter change, & 1300 ml of oil without the filter. If I used gallons or quarts it would be different to American gallons & quarts.