Old 03-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
phoenix

me and the oldest

me and my oldest daughter going for her first ride ever

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: me and the oldest

Good grief man, you can't be serious. Cute little girl but dress her up in some more appropriate riding gear to protect her. As a father you have no doubt dealt with a crying daughter who fell down and skinned her knee. That will heal with no scar. Now think asphalt and 20 or 30 MPH. That is ugly and ugly will go right through to the bone as a lifetime reminder.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Not to pile it on, but please be aware that the tailpipe gets VERY HOT! Not sure if she is just sitting on it for the picture, but if you have the motor turned on, never let any one, expecially kids, near the tail pipe without full length pants.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
phoenix

Quote:
Good grief man, you can't be serious. Cute little girl but dress her up in some more appropriate riding gear to protect her. As a father you have no doubt dealt with a crying daughter who fell down and skinned her knee. That will heal with no scar. Now think asphalt and 20 or 30 MPH. That is ugly and ugly will go right through to the bone as a lifetime reminder
do you really think i was going to go fast at all on her FIRST ride. we only went down the road a bit and back.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
Quote:
Good grief man, you can't be serious. Cute little girl but dress her up in some more appropriate riding gear to protect her. As a father you have no doubt dealt with a crying daughter who fell down and skinned her knee. That will heal with no scar. Now think asphalt and 20 or 30 MPH. That is ugly and ugly will go right through to the bone as a lifetime reminder
do you really think i was going to go fast at all on her FIRST ride. we only went down the road a bit and back.
Okay, 10 MPH then. Minivan backs out of driveway and doesn't see you. You swerve and slow. #1 daughter can't hang on and falls at 5 MPH.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
:facepalm:

If that is the case, and you REALLY don't think her or your were in ANY danger of having an accident, then why is it you both have on helmets? Not only that, I notice that YOU have on a leather jacket and YOU have on pants, and oh yea YOU have on boots.....I am done with this whole thing, this is just ridiculous.

Edit: if i am not Mistaken, you live in a state with a helmet law, so maybe that explains that, but the point still remains.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Guys, before this quickly devolves into an all-out flamewar, let's just take a breather. She's apparently fine (this time) and the new guy has been righteously chastised. I'm not condoning it, but there's a lot worse ways to raise and spent time with your kid than having her hold onto you on the back of a motorcycle. Likely, most of you (and me) have the same experience from your childhood, and remember it fondly. Let's leave at least some hypocrisy in the box.

Phoenix, at least put some long pants on her first. Alan and others are right about the rash and exhaust. Having a 2nd-3rd degree burn or rash on your girl's leg WILL create a very large and very permanent scar. Want a picture of mine?
Old 03-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

:plus1: Yes, many of us have learned about exactly how hot that thing is by accidently taking its temperature with our skin. I burned a dime size hole in my hand just brushing against something near the seat of my Strat.

For some reason, maybe that perfectly smooth chrome coating, it REALLY burns the crap out of bare skin. There was another gentleman on here that rode his bike over to the neighbors and their 8 year old burned a golfball size hole in her leg that took over a month to heal. My wife nearly did the same thing. It's one of those lessons you don't want to learn the hard way. Get her some boots, heavy jeans and a jacket - she'll probably like the badass look anyway. Not sure why denim doesn't burn, but it seems to protect your legs (from burns anyway) pretty well.

My parents didn't approve of motorcycles (or fun, for that matter) so I'm making my fond memories now.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

I think what needs to be done is write what you are thinking, then rewrite it in a much nicer way. Its all about delivery guys.

First post should have said, "Cute kid but she should have a jacket and long jeans on if she is going to ride with you. Its much safer for her. Its great she loves it, but invest in a kids leather, she'll probably love it that she gets to look 'just like daddy'. My kids are not allowed on with me in the summer until they put jeans on. I dress them just as i am dressed (cept they have to wear a helmet )"

See how the same point got across ... yet the mood was different? I dont wanna have to send you all xanex to take before posting!

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 03-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
I dont wanna have to send you all xanex to take before posting!
That's ok, really, my mailing address is.....