Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 05-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
New GZ250

Re: Harley Sportster 883 Custom

Well, did the test ride thing, brand new bike off the showroom floor. Here are some of my observations after a 15 minute ride: (I rode a 883 Low)

The HD was quieter than I thought it would be
The HD is more comfortable for my 6 foot stature
The HD seat is more comfortable
The ride was softer, which I liked and enjoyed. (Not as harsh)
The HD screams quality, the GZ screams this is an introductory bike in to bikes
The HD was about 250 lbs heavier, took some getting used to.
Think the GZ would be a lot better on the real curvy roads many of the roads I ride are limited to 25MPH or less.
Great on the freeway with the extra torque I didn't feel like I was pushing the bike or holding on for my dear life.
Paints seem to be brighter and shinier and of better quality.

The HD vibrates a lot at idle, which I kinda liked, reminded me what I was riding. The idle smoothes of upon acceleration and at about 65 you begin to feel it coming back in the handlebars, nothing much but there. I do find the GZ is smoother and has a lot less vibration.

The out the door price is $8,900.00 for a new 2009 HD, extras/options were color, California emissions and HD security system.

Yes, I'm comparing apples to oranges but wanted to report back to all.

Overall it was a lot of fun and the salesman was super no pressure, next week maybe I will test drive a Sportster 1200 Low, the 883 had plenty of get up and go!

Yes, this would be perfect for me, when I wanted to play Harley, wish the GZ had a bit more power but for the money it's hard to beat. Maybe I will have that extra bike in my garage one day? The wife said yes to the HD, but I'm going to put more thought in to the whole idea.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by New GZ250
The wife said yes to the HD, but I'm going to put more thought in to the whole idea.
If it really is the RIDE you crave and not the "mistique", I encourage you to test ride OTHER bikes of a size similar to the 883 and then try to be objective. Suzuki S40 and M40 (800cc), Honda Shadows 750, Kaw Vulcan 900.....or even the Vulcan 500........ALL are better riding bikes than the 883, in my not so humble opinion. :roll:
Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #13
blaine

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "New GZ250":2cl0wnhm
The wife said yes to the HD, but I'm going to put more thought in to the whole idea.
If it really is the RIDE you crave and not the "mistique", I encourage you to test ride OTHER bikes of a size similar to the 883 and then try to be objective. Suzuki S40 and M40 (800cc), Honda Shadows 750, Kaw Vulcan 900.....or even the Vulcan 500........ALL are better riding bikes than the 883, in my not so humble opinion. :roll:[/quote:2cl0wnhm]
:plus1: :plus1:

Old 05-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

H-D makes some good reliable bikes with paint and chrome that is second to none. But that isn't reason enough to rush out and buy one. Japan makes a lot of options that are cheaper to buy and operate with no reliability issues. For the price of a H-D, even an 883 you could pick up a Japanese bike and outfit it for touring, utility or just add some bling. The one thing I have noticed when on various forums is the fact that H-D tends to stand behind their products moreso than others and the dealers are generally better mannered when an issue comes up.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #15
New GZ250

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "New GZ250":dyoqruog
If it really is the RIDE you crave and not the "mistique", I encourage you to test ride OTHER bikes of a size similar to the 883 and then try to be objective. Suzuki S40 and M40 (800cc), Honda Shadows 750, Kaw Vulcan 900.....or even the Vulcan 500........ALL are better riding bikes than the 883, in my not so humble opinion. :roll:[/quote:dyoqruog]

I'll go for the "mistique" and resale value of a Harley. As for the ride, most, if not all my rides are 75 miles or less, non highway. Not a done deal yet, just seriouly thinking of making the jump. Dealer is offering $1,500 off list on all '09's for cash deal, if not Harley is offering 1% financing, don't know the length of the contract. Don't think the S40 or the Vulcan are available in California. Not certified here. (California Air Resource Board)

Thanks for you input.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
I'll go for the "mistique" and resale value of a Harley.
Whatever trips your trigger.
The "true" resale value of a used bike can be pretty low......if nobody wants it. :cool:
Old 06-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
New GZ250

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "New GZ250":q0pdxpo7
I'll go for the "mistique" and resale value of a Harley.
Whatever trips your trigger.
The "true" resale value of a used bike can be pretty low......if nobody wants it. :cool:[/quote:q0pdxpo7]

Yea a good example would be a GZ250, but at the age of 61, I don't think there will be many more bikes in my life. Hope the Harley, would be one of those bikes, until death do we part! Again just seriously thinking, might go used, many good values out there!

Thanks for your valuable input! I continue to learn new things every day!
:neener:
Old 06-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #18
blaine

Quote:

I'll go for the "mystique" and resale value of a Harley. As for the ride, most, if not all my rides are 75 miles or less, non highway.

Exactly were the G.Z. shines.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #19
New GZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:

I'll go for the "mystique" and resale value of a Harley. As for the ride, most, if not all my rides are 75 miles or less, non highway.

Exactly were the G.Z. shines.
Yes I agree, but a lot of my riding is in the Santa Cruz mountains and Highway 1 (California). Lots of good size hills and head winds, plus the wife wants to be a passenger. Can't say enough good things about the GZ, just need a few more ponies and torque. The GZ is a great learning bike, as for resale value. it sucks, might just keep the bike. The GZ shines in many ways! Thanks for your insight and input.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

New GZ 250, you might want to look at the Suzuki C-50 for 2 up riding. There are 3 or 4 different levels of factory equipment to make it comfy.