Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 09-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
alantf

Re: I bought a new bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ Jess
so it was a deal and I rode her home.
Is it really so easy to get the insurance changed over, in America? Over here there's so much "red tape" with faxing details that it can take all day. And then you have to get them to fax the new insurance back to you. If you get stopped by the police & you haven't got ALL the required documents with you. it's an immediate fine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Alantf, here in the GWN it is pretty easy. In British Columbia all I have to do is walk in to a Gov office with my Bill of Sale and 10 minutes later I can walk out with registrtion and insurance. Used bikes will require an inspection but no big deal really. In some provinces(Alberta) you need to buy insurance at a private insurance company before registering your bike with maybe 30 minutes total and a little travel time between stops. Red tape is just a money generator for the powers that be.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
dentheman

In the US you must have insurance, proof of ownership and a current safety inspection certificate to initially register the bike. Insurance on a new bike can usually be handled over the phone, then they give you a policy number to carry with you until the actual policy arrives in the mail (I called Progressive Insurance to enquire about the procedure for when I get my bike). For a used bike, the insurer usually wants you to bring it by their office or some location so they can inspect it and mark every little scratch and ding on a form. So if I buy a new bike, I should be able to get it insured before I leave the dealer.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
Viirin

Jayzus that's a big jump from 250 to 1100! Sweet looking bike - be careful on it!

Vii
Old 09-06-2010, 02:12 AM   #15
frempath

Yes insurance is that easy. Give them money, get a card. My wife seems to delight in price shopping every time the premium is due. I don't know when the last time I had the same company for more than 1 billing cycle.

frempath

The older boy's GZ250 for about town.
Previous:
XJ 650
GS 450L
XJ 650
XS 650
TS 185
ATC 90

Old 09-14-2010, 11:11 PM   #16
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ Jess
The only thing that I really want to do is add some wide white wall tires when I'm due for a new set
You know that you can get "white wall" paint to white wall your tires? It was mentioned somewhere on this forum.

The 0.001" of paint won't make your tires much wider though...

Oh and be careful... some people seem to be out to get you - today someone move into my lane so I honked but they just kept coming so I had to brake and move out of the way...
Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #17
Water Warrior 2

[quote=5th_bike]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "GZ Jess":ks2rkpwl
The only thing that I really want to do is add some wide white wall tires when I'm due for a new set
You know that you can get "white wall" paint to white wall your tires? It was mentioned somewhere on this forum.

The 0.001" of paint won't make your tires much wider though...

Oh and be careful... some people seem to be out to get you - today someone move into my lane so I honked but they just kept coming so I had to brake and move out of the way...[/quote:ks2rkpwl]
Time to invest in a Stebel Air Horn. They work very well for waking up the brain dead drivers.
The horn was on Lynda's wish list for her M-50.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #18
mrlmd1

I've gotten insurance on each of my 3 bikes in the past few years by making a phone call, then going over to the computer and printing out the insurance card I received in an email, then the regular card came 1 or 2 days later in the snail mail.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
Sarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
In the US you must have insurance, proof of ownership and a current safety inspection certificate to initially register the bike. Insurance on a new bike can usually be handled over the phone, then they give you a policy number to carry with you until the actual policy arrives in the mail (I called Progressive Insurance to inquire about the procedure for when I get my bike). For a used bike, the insurer usually wants you to bring it by their office or some location so they can inspect it and mark every little scratch and ding on a form. So if I buy a new bike, I should be able to get it insured before I leave the dealer.
I carry insurance, but there is no insurance requirement or any safety inspections in Florida.

There is no helmet law here either. (I wear one!)

Thins the herd I guess.

:whistle: :??: O_o
Old 09-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #20
mrlmd1

I'm pretty sure you have to have some kind of minimal insurance to cover liability damage if you ride a motorcycle here, but I may be wrong. Isn't there an extra premium required in Fl. if you say you don't/won't wear a helmet, or you have to have a minimum of $10,000 personal injury coverage? (that amount pays for showing up in the ER and getting a bandaid which you have to apply yourself).