Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 06-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #261
Water Warrior 2

Re: Install a 16 Tooth Front Sprocket

Long inclines are not friendly towards a GZ. As you get more used to the bike and learn it's capabilities you may have your doubts about the lack of power in certain circumstances. Never fear, it will do everything a bigger bike will do but at a slower pace and at a lower cost. Just don't ask a GZ to do more than it has been designed to do. These are almost a bullet proof bike with a great following and used world wide as a workhorse and family limo.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-02-2013, 03:33 AM   #262
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
you may have your doubts about the lack of power in certain circumstances.
As you're in Ireland, you'll undoubtably have the European GZ (the Marauder) like mine. The European model has the carb set up richer than the American bikes (due to their emission regs). I live on a very hilly island (just a giant volcano, running down to the sea, in every direction) and I don't have the problem you mention. I've had my Marauder for more than six years, so I think that you just need to get used to the bike. Don't be afraid to be a bit "rougher" with it. You'll have to let the revs build up higher in each gear, and you may not even make it into fourth or fifth. I can usually get 30 to 40 MPH up the steepest hills in third or fourth. Don't think that just because it has a five speed box, you've got to be in fifth for evey type of road. BTW, that's with the 15 tooth, not the 16. Don't even think about the 16 tooth if you live in a hilly area. :2tup:
Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #263
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anruari
great how jonathan

i have my gz just 3 days,love except for onething

on long, 2-3 mileinclined i cant hold the speed much over 50, there is just nothing left inthe throttle

does this mod make it possible to keep the bike at around 60 and keep with traffic flow on the long inclines?

thanks
The 16T is designed to lower cruising revs on the highway. It's not really meant for long inclines. For that, your best bet would be to stick with the 15T and learn to rev the bike a bike more. I can pull North Georgia mountains in 4th, even with the 16T. You'll be fine. You have a rev limit close to 8000 rpms. Don't be afraid to use them.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #264
anruari

thanks for he replies guys and ithink water warrior is right...

just having a few doubts about the power of the bike..i had a 250 nighthawk which seemed to have more pep to it.....was thinking i should have made the jump to a kawaski en500 or something similar

one word sticks out regards this bike....workhorse...within its limits it seems a sturdy reliable bike. i had it on the motorway the other day..that was a bit hairy, not sure yet how the engine copes at 60 mph constant for a longer period..but well the bike isnt a motorway bike i get...

it ll do for now is my verdict so far.. capable to take my test on and during my prohibited period (2 years after passing test) but i malready thinking for longer journeys i need something with just a little more power to it...not a lot more though either. just something capable of maintaining 60mph with traffic flow up these long inclines

this is the only negative i really have about the bike so far....apart from that its wonderful to rideand i actually find the seat more comfortable than many members on here need to..i get a pain in my upper back long before my bum gets numb.....i added a windshield today so hopefully this will alleviate this back problem
Old 06-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #265
raul10141964

i have
16 t
140 main jet
2.5 turns on the pilot
unrestricted air cleaner
cruse speed at 70-75mi an with good conditions 80 mi
with out the carburator mods do not go over 60 mi

mode air filter ( do not mode the filter without change the main jet )
http://s18.postimg.org/sneq60k8n/IMG_20 ... 110644.jpg

check this post to
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6170

Old 06-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #266
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Really, don't be afraid to use the rev range. 65mph in 4th is fine for the bike. I wouldn't do it all day long every single day... that's what 5th is for. But when you just have to get up over that next hill, then just drop it down a gear and stretch her out. She can handle it.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #267
anruari

jesus it barely gets up to 70 in fifth, but i only have the bike a week so i dont know its intricacies yet

the bike doesn t feel comfortable at seventy either....or maybe im not used to running it at 70...not sure which

my old nighthawk 250 got past the 70 mark with a lot less effort and it topped out at seventy six

the gz maxes at 72 thus far
Old 06-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #268
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

The Nighthawk is a 2 cylinder, so it should spool up faster and it makes more HP by comparison too to being with. The Nighthawk would be a great bike, if the brakes were worth a crap.

The GZ will top out anywhere between 72-83MPH more or less.

5th gear on these things is basically just an overdrive. It's a very tall final drive, considering what our power output is. This is why the 16T conversion further lowers revs so much and feels like it limits overall top-end power. If we have shorter final drive gears, for example, and maybe 6 speeds instead, the bike would probably do 90+ But that's what this bike is.

Try 4th on these hills of yours and let the motor scream a little bit. It is, after all, a Suzuki.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #269
Maggie

Hey y'all! Just want to let you know I got the 16T sprocket and I am really liking it. Thanks for all the discussion here. What I really like is the nice long pull out of a stop. Don't have to shift as quickly to take her up to 2nd.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #270
jbaird

I just got everything buttoned up after my test ride. The new sprocket seems to be a winner. The bike is very usable in 1st gear now and it still gets to 60 quickly. Cruising at 65 is no comfortable. I am sure this mod will add to the life of my bike. Thank you so much Jonathon