Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #1
jeff77x

Hello from PA!

Just bought a 2002 GZ250 a few days ago. Seller said it would turn over but not start. So I got it cheap. By the end of the day I had it running, just by watching a few YouTube videos. Turns out the choke/enrichener cable was stuck. Took both ends off and worked it back and forth with some WD-40. Swapped in an included new spark plug as well. I have 0 experience riding a motorcycle, so I felt a 250 was big enough, motor wise, and from what I read in a comparison of a few 250’s, the GZ was the biggest physically. My only worry is that when I sit on it the rear damn near bottoms out. I thought I could adjust preload, but they are already in what I assume is the highest setting. Btw, I’m 6’ and 260lbs. Do I need new coil overs in the rear, and can the fronts be rebuilt?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

Welcome to the forum. The GZ is the perfect bike for a first time rider as it is very forgiving and just the right power. I am not sure about the availability of coil covers for the rear shocks. You might check Partzilla, as I have had good luck finding things for my GZ on that site. They are usually priced fairly.

The front forks may just need new seals and fresh oil to bring them back to life. I don't know if stiffer springs are available. You might check with one of your local shops if aftermarket stuff is still around.

Good luck with your parts search and safe riding. You might want to take a motorcycle riding course. It will help you from making mistakes that many first time riders do.