Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 05-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
CourtLechter

Checks after bike falls over?

I'm wondering if there are any checks and/or maintenance that one should do after your bike falls over?

I awoke this morning to a rather disturbing sight: my bike was laying on its side with the cover largely off! It seems at some point during the night we had had a "microburst" severe storm that had either blown or washed my bike onto its side. (the side with the kick stand)

When I went down to right the bike, it seemed largely ok: the mirrors had moved, but not broken (that I know of), the saddle bags seemed alright, and I (very thankfully) didn't see any dents. My cover had crumpled itself into a nice water collector for the run-off by the curb, and when I righted the bike I noticed some water pouring out of the speedometer. I also noticed that there was a distinct smell of gas (I'm assuming that my tank leaked a bit when it was on its side).

Apart from righting the bike and ensuring that it was stable I haven't done anything to it (& I'm planning to wait for it to dry before even thinking of turning the electrics on). So, my question is: should I look for any specific types of damage or ensure that certain things are properly adjusted before I ride again?

Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Checks after bike falls over?

Check for bent levers, bent foot pegs and foot controls. Broken or cracked signals. Depending on the exact fall you could have bent bars but hopefully not. Gas smell will be an overflow tube doing it's job. Check the oil level too after it has been upright for a while. While I can't remember the hose routing on the GZ my Vstrom would allow oil to flow to the air filter box after taking a nap. It would siphon through the crankcase vent hose. So check the air filter for oil/water too. Give it time to dry out , then check out the electrics for proper function and fire it up. I doubt you will have any real problems.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
alantf

Luckily (?) it fell over to the left. Usually, when it falls to the right, the brake pedal gets bent, & has to be beaten back into shape with a lump hammer.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Usually the biggest problem from a simple fall-over comes in the form of flooding. Since you've let it sit for a while now, go ahead and try to crank her up and see where you are. I'll bet she responds just like normal.

If it was anything major, it sounds like you would have noticed it by now.