Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 04-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
MissKim

What happened

Secon Saturday I was out on my bike for practice. Was trying to make a tight curve and fell over. Don't do turns real good, was I going too slow or do I just not practice and wait for my class? Miss Kim

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: What happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKim
Secon Saturday I was out on my bike for practice. Was trying to make a tight curve and fell over. Don't do turns real good, was I going too slow or do I just not practice and wait for my class? Miss Kim
It is impossible for US to know what you did wrong.....but the instructor at the class will likely be able to.

In the mean time, practice the stuff you DON'T have a big problem with.......and stay OUT of traffic. !!
Old 04-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
MissKim

I was in a parking lot. Riding the bike back home was the easy part. No U turns or tight spots.
Well.... The big bruise on my leg made it a little tough. OUCH !!

Old 04-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

I will not even venture a guess why you fell but here is a suggestion. Pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling. Read it, practice and evaluate your riding skills. We all fall down now and again, some more often than others. No biggy, just don't get hurt.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Perhaps you used the front brake or were going too slow. When you are doing tight turns at low speed you must learn what is referred to as "clutch control" which is the art of feathering the clutch a bit and using a little throttle to keep the bike under power (but not too much power!) The powered drive train creates a centrifugal force that keeps the bike upright, similar to that of a spinning top. You may have just let your "top" get too slow and then, wobble, and over she goes. If you are doing a tight turn with no power, you lose some of the ability to control/keep the bike upright.

Have you ridden a bicycle before?

Old 04-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
blaine

Also a little rear brake while feathering clutch helps to keep balance at low speeds and turning.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
mrlmd1

You probably squeezed the front brake to slow down as you went around the corner. That is a big mistake, the bike will go down almost every time. Set up your speed, ie., brake or let off the throttle while the bike is still straight up, BEFORE entering the turn. If you want to slow down in the turn, or if you are going really slow and do not want to fall over, use a little rear brake, it stabilizes the bike. You have to play with the clutch, the "friction zone" too. This may not make any sense to you right now.
Take the MSF class, you will learn what to do and how to control the bike, that's what it's for. No sense in getting hurt or damaging the bike trying to learn this yourself. And make sure you take the class, do not have a friend try and teach you how to ride.
Now that you have the bike, if you don't already, get a good fitting full face helmet, armored jacket, gloves, boots, riding pants, and get yourself ready. Read Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough while you are waiting to take the class. You practice AFTER the class, not now.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
5th_bike

Quote:
Was trying to make a tight curve and fell over. Don't do turns real good, was I going too slow or do I just not practice and wait for my class? Miss Kim
No harm in practiceing the slow stuff. Try to go walking pace. Part of the exam is slow, tight turns in a rectangle.

So, have the bike in first gear, clutch in, have it grab a bit to get a little speed, squeeze back in. Use the rear brake to slow down and keep off the front brake (yes I know everyone else already said).

In turns, when you are about to fall over (inward, I assume), you throttle up a bit and have the clutch grab a bit, and you'll stay upright. Don't let the clutch out all the way, have it just grab to get a little extra speed.

To practice clutch use you could also try to drive the bike with the engine idling (i.e. take off from standstill without using the throttle) once you can do that, you will have pretty good clutch control.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
mole2

Quote:
As everyone mentioned, clutch control, throttle control and rear brake. One other important thing. You MUST look where you want to go and not at the road in front of you. If you're making tight U turns then turn your head completely to look where you want to go. Look up. As the saying says, look down, fall down. You'll learn all that and more in the MSF course.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
dannylightning

there are a lot of things that can make you fall if you are going slow and making a tight turn, any kind of jerky throttle action can do it or hitting the breaks. the slower you are going on a tight curve the more likley you will be to fall over. i have almost went down a time or two on sharp u turns because of the things i mentioned,

why you fell over.. well its hard to telll