Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
Glitch

Hello!

Hello! I joined this forum because I am a noob with a GZ250, and I have questions. My husband grew up riding motorcycles, and when I met him five years ago, I was introduced to the bike life. I have yet to start riding solo, which is where my GZ250 comes in. My husband bought a Royal Enfield in January after his bike was totaled in a wreck (idiot kid in an SUV ran a stop light and stopped broadside in the street...my husband had 15 feet to brake...needless to say, collision was imminent), and the same people had a GZ250 I took a liking to. They offered it to us for cheap because they were moving, and we came over to purchase it. Before money changed hands, we put some gas in it to start it and check it over, as it had been sitting for over two years, and the gas promptly started pouring out from the petcock and from under the tank itself. So...they gave it to us for free if we could get it off their driveway, and we did. Makes for a great story.

Off to ask questions - nice to "meet" you all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170225_1819229.jpg (61.5 KB, 11 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
bwader

Welcome, that is a story. Hope your husband is ok and sorted out with that wreck!

If you havent already,
Download the repair manual and user manuals from this site and we can help fill in the rest. You will definitely save yourself money doing it yourself or at least learning and understanding a problem, repairs and maintenance on your GZ and what you really need to fix it.
GZ is the biggest gas tank I know stock on a 250cc, simple bikes and for me gas mileage is important and 65mph to 70mph is the fastest I need to go! I stay in the right lane.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
Vegas Street Rider

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you will make good use of the site bringing your bike back to life. I am sure you will enjoy your GZ. It is a great starter bike that is very easy to handle and won't overpower you. As always, ride safe.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Welcome Glitch. You have one of the best first bikes ever made. And the green paint and pinstriping on your bike is my favorite.

While you are sorting out the bike please keep a few safety issues in mind. The tires are likely in need of replacement due to age. Any tire over 5 years old is unsafe and should be replaced. Tread life is not a good indicator as the rubber itself is dried out and gets hard and slippery.

Sounds like you should be a good new rider but please enroll in rider training to give you a leg up on developing your skills. Hubby is not an instructor no matter how long he has ridden.

Rider training and a copy of "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough will do wonders for your skills development.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #5
Razorburns

Welcome to the fam

Old 06-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
Glitch

Thanks for the welcome and tips! I've downloaded the manuals, and I am nearly done rebuilding the carburetor. After that, I need to rebuild the petcock, then general maintenance...then maybe it will move again. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #7
blaine

Welcome to the family!!!