Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
chasewhite78

No Spark!?? Replaced ALOT

hey guys new to the forum, im having an issue with my bike not getting spark. it started fine last week i replaced the ignition because i lost the key and turned the carb, when i put it back together the wouldn't start. I checked everything in the service manual, Replaced the coil, spark plug, stator and pick up coil, cdi box and checked the kick stand switch but nothing still!! all the parts are new accept the used cdi i got that was off a running bike. the motor cranks really well just absolutely no spark still!!! please help!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
spldart

You have replaced all this and say still no spark... Have you tried a timing light to verify?
Have you ruled out the other sides of this?
air/fuel, compression, spark, <-timed correctly.
Plug getting wet, smells like gas?
engine been compression tested?
Timing light flashes or not? If it does is it flashing at/near TDC as per service manual?
OH! That kill engine switch on the right handle bar has given me issues in the past. Crank but no
fire.
Check it!
You might try flicking it on and off several times. Then crank once. Then flick off and back on. then crank again. Then flick off and on, then crank again... You get the picture....
If that doesn't work hit the wiring diagram and verify that switch.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #3
alantf

starting to look like the ignition switch may be the problem. Is the replacement genuine Suzuki? Also, I agree about having to turn the key on and off. I sometimes get that problem. The engine turns over, but won't fire. Turn the key off and on again, and it fires right up.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
Vegas Street Rider

You might try spraying some contact cleaner on that kill switch. Sometimes it just gets a little corroded in there.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
chasewhite78

Quote:
Originally Posted by spldart View Post
You have replaced all this and say still no spark... Have you tried a timing light to verify?
Have you ruled out the other sides of this?
air/fuel, compression, spark, <-timed correctly.
Plug getting wet, smells like gas?
engine been compression tested?
Timing light flashes or not? If it does is it flashing at/near TDC as per service manual?
OH! That kill engine switch on the right handle bar has given me issues in the past. Crank but no
fire.
Check it!
You might try flicking it on and off several times. Then crank once. Then flick off and back on. then crank again. Then flick off and on, then crank again... You get the picture....
If that doesn't work hit the wiring diagram and verify that switch.

i haven't tried compression testing it but it does seem to have very good compression, but i will check that and the timing light as well toda, the plugs not wet ever either, and i was starting to think that the kill switch or kick stand switch switch may be bad, any way to bypass them to test if they are bad? TIA and thanks for the response so far

Old 04-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
chasewhite78

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
starting to look like the ignition switch may be the problem. Is the replacement genuine Suzuki? Also, I agree about having to turn the key on and off. I sometimes get that problem. The engine turns over, but won't fire. Turn the key off and on again, and it fires right up.
No it is one off ebay that i bought and already had to switch two wires with each other because the wired it wrong, can i bypass the ignition switch to see if thats the issue, i already threw the old one out.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
chasewhite78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
You might try spraying some contact cleaner on that kill switch. Sometimes it just gets a little corroded in there.
will do that today and see if that works, Thanks for the response!
Old 04-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #8
Vegas Street Rider

Got to thinking that if the kill switch was not making contact, it wouldn't even turn over and I don't think that is the case. I would focus on the ignition switch at this point.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:50 AM   #9
alantf

Never had the ignition switch apart, but I've read on here that there's some gizmo (resistor?) in it so that you can't start the bike without the key. Perhaps someone who knows what the gizmo is will come along and explain it, so that you can check that it's fitted.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #10
chasewhite78

can i bypass or hotwire the ignition?