Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 02-19-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
alazar14

Hey guys, An update on everything over here :)

Hey guys its been a while since I did my last post and got my virago 250 so I guess it is about time I make an update and tell you how I like it.

Iv been riding for 4 months now almost every week at least 3 days and I gotta say the Virago is one hell of a ride. Sure its not a super loud hog, and in some cases big harley guys do make fun of me but hey whatever. My little Vtwin is awesome. It gets me to school no problem, reaches 80mph when I need it to and is a comfortable ride at 70mph.

Feels like it has good power for a 250.

Maintenance that Iv done on it so far, New oil, did lube on the chain (its started to show signs of rusting so replacing in next 500 miles or so). As well as just replaced the battery that was really bad.

Have not gotten on the Highway as you guys know I live in CA and the 4 lane highway is not very good here in San Diego county. Lots of insane drivers at all times of the day. I do take fast raods, and empty roads a lot to do my bikes limit testing XD

I average about 65mpg with my riding style which is a bit aggressive.

So far Iv had 2 near death experiences, both being beginners fault.

#1 I almost hit a car when I changed lane because I didn't turn my head and only look at the mirrior.

#2 I ran out of gas doing 55 mph uphill in Chula Vista. (I will never forget to check gas before I leave the house ever again).

So far I'm very satisfied with the bike, it has required a bit of upkeep but I think that goes for any mode of Transportation.

I avoid riding in the rain still as well since Its god damn cold and I do have a car for that lol.

I am beginning to plan a trip somewhere far away from home soon, maybe get on the highway in the next 2-3 months. In the summer I want to go to Montana, Yes I know it sounds insane but its really not that bad. I am getting a lot of advice / tips from the Honda Rebel forum and motorcycle forums on what to take, which saddlebags to get, *as well as hemorrhoid cream* what essentials to take, how often to check my bike, what maintenance to do before I go, what supplies to take, in general I am getting quite informed and trying to make it work. I even asked the author of this post here.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18512

He gave me a lot of amazing advice from his experience and while my trip will only be around 2500 miles maybe 3000 miles tops round trip and his was 7500 To me its just as exciting. I do plan to take some money in cash but mostly in credit card, well basically I am planning out as much as I can. Its a slightly crazy Idea but hey Its been done before. From what Iv herd from EVERYONE even old guys at dealerships is that its not a question of if the bike can handle it its a question of If I can, I am trying to work out a lot to be in physical shape for that since Feb started. I am already in decent shape but I could use more muscle and stop being so skinny.

From what Iv herd from a lot of bikers as well is the hardest most dangerous part of my trip is going out and into CA, once I reach Nevada its mostly just 2 lane highway that I can go at my own pace and take my time so I cant wait for that. Anyways I digress

I am very happy with the Virago.

So far Iv put in about 800 miles in her since I got it.

Just overall a great bike. As Much as I did like the GZ when I was doing the MSF class I am happy I went with the Virago. It has more power than I expected it sounds more like a bigger bike due to the double exhaust and Vtwin engine, it feels bigger than the GZ did and as the 86 year old wise biker who runs the repair shop behind my house told me "You got a decent bike there, now it ain't no Triumph or Ducadi but If you take care of your bike it will take care of you"

By which he ment do repairs on it, don't neglect it, check it up when it needs it, do frequent oil changes, ya know the works. He has some 250s in his shop with over 60,000 miles that still work perfectly fine and are ready for a trip. He even took an old 450 from San Diego to Yucatan and back when he was in his 40s. By the way he still rides lol crazy huh.

Anyhow I am thinking about doing the trip maybe this year, most likely in summer but also considering leaving it for next year when I have more experience. The thing is though I am transfering to a university Next year so I have to look at campuses asap and the University of MT has a great psychology program.

Anyhow Nice to update you guys hope everything is going well with you all

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Hey guys, An update on everything over here :)

Well it's about time you checked in with us. Glad to hear the Virago is all you hoped it would be. Take a ride to MT and check out the campus. Gain experience riding and see what MT State has to offer. And if you have never been to Montana before you are in for a treat. They don't call it "Big Sky Country" for nothing. Oh, and if you have lots of time be sure to make the "Going to the Sun Road" a part of the ride.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
Maggie

Wow, Alazar...what a wonderful ambition, I truly hope you can fulfill it with a trip that will be a lifetime memory. And thanks for posting that great link for the guy who took the 7500 mile trip on his 250. What a great read!

Old 02-19-2010, 02:26 AM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Dude,

Lots of advice threads on here about touring. Strongly suggest you try a few "one-day" tours before you set out for Montana on that bike. See if you can do 300-400 miles in a day and see how you feel the next day. Also, I seriously doubt you can go from SD to Montana and back in 2500 miles. You can't ride like the crow flies and you will probably want to see something other than the four lane (like, maybe Yellowstone? Grand Tetons? etc.)

Work your way up to a two day trip to San francisco and back. Go up highway 1. If you can do that and still want to ride the next day, you are ready for Montana.

PS. Better get at least some time under your belt on the freeway.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
burkbuilds

Thanks for posting your update, sounds like you are very pleased with your choice, that's great. Alan has a good point, don't make your first road trip an exceptionally long one. The first time I put 300 miles on a bike in one day was pretty exhausting and I learned a lot about the difference in a 1 hour ride and a 1 day's worth of riding. As Alan pointed out, you've also got to get up the next day and do this again on a long ride and it's much better to find out if you will be up to doing that when you still have the option of not doing it rather than being 300 miles away from home when you find out. My longest ride so far was from Atlanta to Panama City Beach and the trip was about 7 1/2 hours on the road that day and I was really glad that I did it, and I was really glad that the next morning all I had to do was go walk on the beach instead of jumping back on the bike for another day of riding. I'm not saying you can't do that, just build up to it a little at a time. When I first started riding two hours back and forth to Atlanta from my home, I was pretty tired at the end of that ride, now I don't think anything about it, but I've been doing it twice a week for over six months now. Like most things, you "acclimate" to stress in life whether it's sports, work, weather, or long distance trips on a motorcycle. Give yourself a chance to work up to a "cross country trip".

Keep posting your "updates" on the bike, good to hear from you again!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazar14
Iv been riding for 4 months now almost every week at least 3 days ...........

Anyhow Nice to update you guys hope everything is going well with you all
You guys in California are starting to piss me off.

S.A.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazar14
#2 I ran out of gas doing 55 mph uphill in Chula Vista. (I will never forget to check gas before I leave the house ever again).
Could we interest you in a 30 second lesson in using the trip odometer and the reserve switch ??? :biggrin:
Old 02-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Could we interest you in a 30 second lesson in using the trip odometer and the reserve switch ??? :biggrin:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=992

Probably.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Um, Does the Virago have the same "poor man's gas gauge" as the Geezer?
Old 02-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Um, Does the Virago have the same "poor man's gas gauge" as the Geezer?
Mmmmm....It's not a real motorcycle if it has a gas gauge !! :neener: :hide:
Old 02-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

FWIW, surface rust isn't an indication that your chain needs replacing. It's just an indication that the surface of the links are rusty!

If you do change the chain, change the front and rear sprockets, too.