Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 04-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #31
dannylightning

Re: led kit and visability at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
i found a page on neon lightning vehicles laws in ohio, it states that neon lights are legal in ohio..
Good info........for anybody in Ohio.
It probably means that you will be OK if you are careful (and use a little common sense) about how you mount them.

Two potential problems remain, however.
How is one to know if the lights exceed 300 cp AND if any LEO wants to get you, the law you looked up is specifically for neon and not for LEDs. Probably OK 99% of the time but that remaining 1% could be a big pain in the ass.

Definitely need an OFF switch just incase!
i don't think the police would be able to tell if it is more than 300 candle power either unless they have some meter to monitor it but that is doubtful, i guess they best way to look at it is if yo were using one or two led's to accent something than you shouldn't have a problem. if you are using a lot of them point them to towards the pavement and you should be a ok in ohio as long as they don't flash.

only problem with a off switch is by the time you see the cops at night they have probably already saw your neon/led's

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #32
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

I have an on/off switch mounted under my side cover. I go by the mentality that if they see it, turn around, and i turn it off quick, they'll write it off as just seeing shit

I agree with Danny .... very doubtful anyone would be carrying cp metering equipment. About as much chance as them carrying db metering equipment for pipes.

I think all you'd see is possibly getting pulled over for excessive light and even then, they'd prob just tell you its 'too much' and/or turn em off with a warning if you treat them respectfully. Just as with loud pipes .... a general ticket for excessive noise or erratic driving. Those specific laws were written to protect who .. the cops .. in a court case if necessary.

I've been running my LEDs in rotate mode .. which you've seen in the video, while riding. I havent had a problem yet.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 04-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #33
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
I have an on/off switch mounted under my side cover. I go by the mentality that if they see it, turn around, and i turn it off quick, they'll write it off as just seeing shit

I agree with Danny .... very doubtful anyone would be carrying cp metering equipment. About as much chance as them carrying db metering equipment for pipes.

I think all you'd see is possibly getting pulled over for excessive light and even then, they'd prob just tell you its 'too much' and/or turn em off with a warning if you treat them respectfully. Just as with loud pipes .... a general ticket for excessive noise or erratic driving. Those specific laws were written to protect who .. the cops .. in a court case if necessary.

I've been running my LEDs in rotate mode .. which you've seen in the video, while riding. I havent had a problem yet.
i got pulled over once for a loud stereo, they oviously didnt have any metering equipment or i would not have been pulled over. the car had one of those 20 dolor low power tape decks in it. that did not get loud or sound good at all. and the stock speakers were like 4 inch pices of crap woofers. you could hear it out side of the car but it was not capable of producing blaring loud music.

this guy used to pull me over on a weekley basis for soemthing it was in a little country town where they only had 4 police cars. he never gave me a ticket once. i had one of those merkur xr4ti's so either he was pulling me over cus i had a crazy sports car or he just wanted to talk to me. he always wanted to bs when he pulled me over. he did seem a little funny if you know what i mean.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #34
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
....... even then, they'd prob just tell you its 'too much' and/or turn em off ......
Which would be kind of hard to do IF you don't have an off switch !! :biggrin: .....which WAS my point to start with.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #35
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Thats why i said i had one installed

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 05-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #36
goneoutflying

I have two sets of LEDs that have two lights .each, on set is green and the other white, they do increase the viability of the bike especially from the side.
I found out that here in Florida they are fine as long as they are not distracting ie. flashing changing colors etc.

As far as power consumption they can be powered by a small 12v camera battery so I think the gz can handle it.