Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 09-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
MLAN12

Luggage Rack

I am looking for information on luggage racks for an '06 GZ250. I have seen some that require drilling holes in the rear fender to mount. Any input on this type of installation would be appreciated. Most racks seem to come with a sissybar/backrest. Is this type of setup better than the first mentioned above? Any reccommendations on a good source for parts would also be helpful. Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: Luggage Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLAN12
I am looking for information on luggage racks for an '06 GZ250. I have seen some that require drilling holes in the rear fender to mount. Any input on this type of installation would be appreciated. Most racks seem to come with a sissybar/backrest. Is this type of setup better than the first mentioned above? Any reccommendations on a good source for parts would also be helpful. Thanks
Do a search through the Mods sub-forum. The sissy bar backrest/rack gives you a lot of options for strapping on gear/bags, if you don't mind the look of a sissy bar. All the other racks I've seen require holes to be drilled in the license plate fender or the main fender.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Jer

Mine came with one. (used)

I'll snap come pics of how its mounted if that helps ya.

Let me know.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
Graydog

There was OEM GZ250 luggage rack on Ebay Friday with "Buy it now" of less than $60. I think it was $59. Don't know it it is still there. I believe it mounts to the bolt that the rear seat attaches to.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
aesoprock00

mine came with a luggage rack. it's built onto the sissy bar. it seems pretty sturdy, though it does have a warning label on it not to exceed 5lbs. i'll try to snap a picture of it

Old 09-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
gzrider

check out my new posting on mods yoy can easly mount a topcase, even sidecases, ive got 132 liters total of space added, and got a tank bag too,(21 more liters), you gust get a suzuki sissybar-luggage rack setup, cut off the back rest portion, or the gngle it goes back at will prevent you from attaching a decent case, then buy what ever size pleases you , go to home depot visit the hardware section , some bolts some fender washers a couple of house framing brases hacked in half to go under the topcase from underneith the stock luggage rack, (unless the topcase came with uinversal mounting hardware allready, only smaler capasity ones do , large ones all have bike specific ones, and nothing for the gz) . and cut a piece of ply wood to the shape of the bottom of the topcase, and let the topcase sit on that, to distribute the pressure evenly since the luggage rack is only 7 in long and 6 in wide.sandwich it in between the top of the rack and the bottom of the topcase, tighten it and youre good . suzuki puts the weight rating low so no lawsuits from extreme abuse like the hot coffee warnings at mc d's, the area where the 2 bolts accept the suzuki luggage rack go streight threw the frame, look from the under side and you will see, its solid and will hold up. it additionaly will support my 2 sidecases , so be confident a topcase is no issue.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
Jer

jeez, you have more storage than motorcycle!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #8
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzrider
check out my new posting on mods yoy can easly mount a topcase, even sidecases, ive got 132 liters total of space added, and got a tank bag too,(21 more liters), you gust get a suzuki sissybar-luggage rack setup, cut off the back rest portion, or the gngle it goes back at will prevent you from attaching a decent case, then buy what ever size pleases you , go to home depot visit the hardware section , some bolts some fender washers a couple of house framing brases hacked in half to go under the topcase from underneith the stock luggage rack, (unless the topcase came with uinversal mounting hardware allready, only smaler capasity ones do , large ones all have bike specific ones, and nothing for the gz) . and cut a piece of ply wood to the shape of the bottom of the topcase, and let the topcase sit on that, to distribute the pressure evenly since the luggage rack is only 7 in long and 6 in wide.sandwich it in between the top of the rack and the bottom of the topcase, tighten it and youre good . suzuki puts the weight rating low so no lawsuits from extreme abuse like the hot coffee warnings at mc d's, the area where the 2 bolts accept the suzuki luggage rack go streight threw the frame, look from the under side and you will see, its solid and will hold up. it additionaly will support my 2 sidecases , so be confident a topcase is no issue.

Ever heard of the Shift key?

...or a spellchecker?
Old 09-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Forum's got Spell Check?
Old 09-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Forum's got Spell Check?