Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
Meltinpix

Send a message via Yahoo to Meltinpix
GPS

Does anyone have a GPS on their GZ250,? If so what is it?
Thanks,
Mike

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: GPS

I am probably going to pick this up during the winter for my bike. It's the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx 2.6 Color.

From Newegg.com. There are cheaper places out there for this too. You'll have to check Google Shopping for those though.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
mrlmd1

What kind of mounts do you guys use? On the handlebars?

Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
What kind of mounts do you guys use? On the handlebars?
In my jacket pocket. :roll:

Removes the temptation to get fixated on the little screen while you are moving !! :skull:
Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

:plus1:

Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
mrlmd1

A GPS to work needs an unobstructed view of the sky so it won't work in a jacket pocket but may take a moment or two after being exposed again to settle in and regain it's position. If you are using a mapping GPS you would have to stop on the side of the road to view it and figure out the screen anyway, which is much safer than trying to read it while riding.
Does anyone use those talking GPS's like for the car dashmounts?, either Garmin, TomTom, or similar. You probably couldn't hear them when riding with the wind noise and helmet on but they have pretty big screens and easy to use controls which could probably be used with gloves on. They would have to be mounted on the bike instead of carried in storage somewhere, and if you were smart. only looked at when you were stopped.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
A GPS to work needs an unobstructed view of the sky so it won't work in a jacket pocket but may take a moment or two after being exposed again to settle in and regain it's position.
That depends on what the obstruction is. Mine works just fine inside my house......after it initially gets a lock.......which can be had near any window. The tiny little bit of fabric in a jacket presents no more obstruction than a car windshield. If you have one that doesn't work inside a jacket pocket, you either have a defective GPS or you have a jacket with a lot of metal in the fabric (not likely).
Old 09-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
patrick_777

mrl, older GPS units used to have to have continuous direct LOS with 3-4 satellite links, but the good ones out now aren't as picky and can hold a signal link for a much longer period even with multiple levels of obstruction. The one I linked is a popular one for motorcyclists (the b&w screen is cheaper) because it can be stowed in even hard saddlebags without losing its tracking, plus there are many different handlebar mounts you can get/make for it. It's water-resistant, easy to use with gloves and easy to configure for visibility at a glance. Be careful of the new ones out MARKETING to motorcycle use. They have fewer options, aren't as rugged and have a higher price just for that label.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
mrlmd1

I stand corrected, thanks.
That looks like a nice unit. Can you load different higher detail local maps into it or does it have enough memory to cover the whole US with all major/secondary roads? And can you zoom in/out on the screen ?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
patrick_777

All of that. It has a removable microSD slot which you can use for storage and map data. You can also connect it up to your computer (or just use the card slot) and upload waypoint and route information from Google Maps/Earth or any other mapping and routing apps. Garmin has a crapload of maps available (some are pricey unless you find "alternate" ways of procuring them) which give you terrain mapping, geologic data, travel and wildlife data and all sorts of other neat things to keep you good and "lost".