Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 12-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #21
Badbob

Re: GPS

If you ride back roads you are likely to find that they are some what lacking in signs. A GPS could be very useful on these roads. Unlike the Google maps avoid highways feature that like many people thinks a back road is anything that isn't an interstate. My definition of a back road is anything that is two lanes or less and not a US highway although there are some US highways that fit. These are usually state, county, or forest service roads.

Signs get stolen. US29 for miles either side of Deals Gap is missing signs. I can only assume that people are stealing them. Its very irritating to drive 20 miles out of your way because someone took the sign at a major intersection.

On a recent trip I spent the night somewhere I did not intend to be because the state of Tennessee has a noticeable lack of signs. There maybe 5 routes joined together on the same road but there is only one sign except at junctions. Asking directions wasn't helpful. This can make it difficult to find your way. A GPS would have been very useful.

Then there is weather. Its hard to use paper maps in the rain. You have to find some where that you can stop and get out of the rain. If your GPS is water proof it will work where you can't use paper maps.

I think they complement each other. Paper maps give you the big picture with a few details. GPS tells you where you are, which way to go, where you have been, and much more.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #22
alanmcorcoran

I've posted elsewhere of some of my tribulations with Google Maps, Mapquest and the like. Recently had to do TWO separate mid trip re-routes, by ABPS (Alan's Brain Positioning System) after one major Google road was closed indefinitely due to fires, and another relied on a hiking trail to avoid US15. Although I managed to navigate these two detours mapless and GPS less, they happened during the day and in a part of the country where I am familiar with the major regional topography (mountain ranges and such.) Also added about 35 miles onto an already pretty long 150 mile slog.

I'd a probably been screwed if it was at night or I was in Atlanta. Still, part of me says I might as well get a purse and pantyhose to go with if I ever break down and get one of those things. Old habits (and prejudices) die hard.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #23
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I'd a probably been screwed if it was at night or I was in Atlanta. Still, part of me says I might as well get a purse and pantyhose to go with if I ever break down and get one of those things.
Yea sure. Like you aren't a wussy already! :crackup

But seriously.......IN Atlanta isn't too bad; it's NEAR Atlanta and off the Interstates where you can get lost for DAYS. :roll:

I got one recently (about 8 months ago). Actually, I'm on the second one as the first wasn't "good enough". For the most part, I think it is just a "toy" for the casual traveler UNTIL you try to navigate your way through a major Metro area. Sure maps are available for places like Atlanta, LA, Chicago, DFW, New York, etc. but they tend to be difficult to handle and hard to read without a magnifying glass. In those situations alone, I find that my GPS "payed for itself" after only 3 trips.

They will NOT save you from your own stupidity though. When asking someone in a major metro area for their address, you need to get the WHOLE address. You cannot assume that since they did not volunteer "Podunk Suburb" that they are in the city of Atlanta. Sometimes streets with exactly the same name are 30 miles apart. Guess how I know that!

Note: It especially pisses you off when you take a 60 mile detour to get to a place you were only 5 miles away from to start with!! :skull:

Second note: None of that was on the bike. I did not take the GPS with me on my bike trip and was sorry when I went exploring north of Atlanta and had to stop and buy a map to get back home!!! Next time I will take it but don't intend to have it ON unless needed. Too much of a distraction.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #24
Badbob

There are 71 streets in Atlanta with a variant of "Peachtree" in their name.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #25
alanmcorcoran

For the obvious sophomoric reasons, I always crack up to myself when people refer to "Buckhead", especially since it is sort of the snootier section, more so because it got it's name because a guy hit a deer and felt obligated to display its head (classy!) and, prior to that it was known as "Irbyville."

FYI, where Peachtree Street turns into Peachtree Road is the generally accepted Buckhead border.

-Alan
Bouchebag, CA

Old 12-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #26
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
where Peachtree Street turns into Peachtree Road is the generally accepted Buckhead border.

-Alan
Bouchebag, CA
I know right where this good enough to get there with out a map or a GPS.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #27
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
There are 71 streets in Atlanta with a variant of "Peachtree" in their name.
For me,at least, THAT isn't the problem. You only have to be there about 10 seconds to realize that and pay REAL close attention when trying to find anything with Peach in the name.

I have no excuse for my 60 mile detour......other than stupidity!! :roll:
Old 04-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #28
Ottawa

I have a Garmin 76CSX for my bike (it's waterproof and very rugged) mounted in the middle of the bars. These new Garmins do work inside your jacket as they have an upgraded receiver in them. I also have a Nuvi 760 in the Jeep and I can say that they are extremely useful. In Ontario, with your beginners bike permit (M1) we're not allowed on the highway until we get our intermediate permit (M2) so having the GPS figure out how to get somewhere without hitting a highway is extremely useful to the new rider who wants to go on a long ride without getting caught on a highway. Personally, I will always only buy a Garmin. They're easy to use, have tons of maps and all the accessories you'll need for car or bike. But like someone else pointed out, stay way from the urge to play with it while riding. Program it before your trip and just follow it with quick glances and nothing else. If you really have to, pull over and do what you need to do.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:56 AM   #29
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
Its hard to use paper maps in the rain.
I put my town maps through my laminator, then blutack them to the tank. That way, when I stop at a junction, I can glance down & check where I am.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #30
Gary

I put a Garmin (the cheapest auto) on my bike using the included windshield/ dashboard suction cup mount to stick to my bikes windshield. I put a safety piece of twine around the bracket in case it came loose, which it did eventually. Save my GPS. The near part was that I took a car cigg. lighter plug in, broke it apart, attached a minuture ubs plau to the koutput side, coated the circut board against water, and found an unused hot lead inside the head light and wired it in. The ubs comes out the hole in the back of the headlight, and can be used to keep the GPS charged, and neatly, my cell phone also. The GPS is not waterproof of course.