Old 07-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #31
blaine

Re: GPS

Hi.Nice idea.Welcome to the forum.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #32
Water Warrior 2

Go to TheMountGuys for some handy dandy GPS mounts. Be sure to get something that fits a 7/8th inch handlebar if you order.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #33
dentheman

Beware, you might not be able to easily read the screen of a GPS on bright or even overcast days unless you shade it or order a motorcycle specific GPS at a terribly high price (because of the brighter screen and glove usable touch screen). You can search >electronics >car electronics & GPS >motorcycle GPS, on Amazon.com to see what I mean about the prices. (The cheaper ones in that search are not motorcycle specific.)

I have a Garmin Vista HCx that I used to mount on my bicycle handlebar and soon realized I often could not read the screen even if it was adjusted bright, and sunglasses made it even worse. Now I just check it when I stop riding to see where I have to go. Also, my daughter has an automotive GPS (that talks) that is very easy to see in her car, but once outside the screen is hard to read in daylight.

My Vista HCx will easily lock onto satellites while in my pocket and in the house. It has 12 channels and a SiRF chip which gives it the ability to lock on to 12 satellites when there are that many above the horizon. Older designs do not have the same capability to stay locked on when there are obstacles in the way of the signal.

Just passing on my experience with GPS, but I would recommend you check to see if the screen is readable outside with sunglasses before purchasing, if reading the screen while riding is important to you. (It's like trying to read a cell phone screen in sunlight.)

Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #34
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
.... if reading the screen while riding is important to you.
Good point.

My opinion is: If you are concerned about riding SAFELY, you will not put things on your bars that tempt you to take your eyes off the road......or even worse, fiddle with the buttons.

I seldom look at the screen on mine in the car; the voice prompts are more than adequate 95% of the time. If I don't have a "navigator" in the other seat and the voice directions don't sound quite right, I either follow them anyway or stop to check it out.

I think screwing with a GPS's buttons is almost as dangerous as texting while driving.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #35
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
.... if reading the screen while riding is important to you.
Good point.

My opinion is: If you are concerned about riding SAFELY, you will not put things on your bars that tempt you to take your eyes off the road......or even worse, fiddle with the buttons.

I seldom look at the screen on mine in the car; the voice prompts are more than adequate 95% of the time. If I don't have a "navigator" in the other seat and the voice directions don't sound quite right, I either follow them anyway or stop to check it out.

I think screwing with a GPS's buttons is almost as dangerous as texting while driving.
I agree completely. But most people with a new GPS think they have to watch the screen. Even hikers using their first GPS will carry it around so they can look at it every few seconds. They soon learn to turn the thing on, stick it in a pocket, and leave it alone until the occasional need to consult the map. I can't think of any occasion where I have had to screw with the settings of an automobile GPS once I was underway. If an auto Gps (talking) on a motorcycle is connected to helmet speakers, there should be no need to see the screen (wired or bluetooth like). Some of the GPS's mentioned in this thread are 'visual only', which really aren't well suited to motor vehicles, in my opinion.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #36
GZ Jess

I use a Garmin Nuvi in my van and have recently discovered that the windshield suction works perfectly on the tank. I only paid about $120 for it and am very happy. Mounted higher (like on the bars) would be a little easier to look at but I always kind of memorize my route before so I just glance for reassurance. I do like to have it when I'm just wondering on the back roads because I can always tell it to take me home and it does LOL. The only issue I ran into was that the battery will run out after 7-8 hrs of use and I don't have anyway to charge it yet. I worry that the GZ battery (mine at least) would have problem charging it and staying charged itself.

Jessica
Old 07-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #37
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ Jess
I worry that the GZ battery (mine at least) would have problem charging it and staying charged itself.
Should NOT be a problem.
The GPS would draw less than one of your "marker" lights.
Is there some reason that you think yours would be different than the "average" GZ in that respect ??
Old 07-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #38
Water Warrior 2

The GZ is more than adequate to power a GPS system.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:23 PM   #39
GZ Jess

Well I haven't had any problem lately, but when I first got my bike I let it sit with the headlights on for a 1/2 hr or so and then it wouldn't start. But like I said, I haven't had a problem since.

Jessica
Old 08-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #40
BillInGA

I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 and used the suction cup to mount it to the windshield. I zip-tied the power cable to the handlebars as a safety tether. It is visible in sunlight and the touchscreen responds well to gloved inputs. I don't have power for it on the GZ250, so it runs on internal battery - enough for about 3 hours.

I added a 12-volt accessory outlet to the Vulcan for the long-distance trip and that worked pretty well. However, the Nuvi 760 is not waterproof. So, for inclement weather I have to stow it away under a rain cover somewhere as well as cover the 12-volt outlet.

Understanding how the GPS works and knowing what information you want from it go a long way to reducing the level of distraction / workload. After programming my route (while stopped) I typically glance down to see how far away I am from my next turn. On a few occaissions I had to interact with the GPS enroute when I experienced worse than expected fuel mileage and had to look for fuel. Five touches got me headed to the nearest gas station with minimal workload.