Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 11-13-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
Moedad

Re: Plexistar II Windshield (aka Moe's windshield)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I took another look at mine (bought the bike used) and I think the windshield was installed backwards!!
I can't imagine how that would be possible. Then again, I've been called unimaginative.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Is the top of your shield a little above eyebrow level? How tall are you? (I am 5'11" [Patrick - add height and weight to member profile!])
Yes.
5'6" ,in my boots .
Short legs, though. From the ass up, you and I might not be that different.

At this point, what you have left is rake adjustments OR drop it WAY down and try the "look over it" theory.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I took another look at mine (bought the bike used) and I think the windshield was installed backwards!!
I can't imagine how that would be possible. Then again, I've been called unimaginative.
Me neither. Upside down, maybe, but NOT backwards.

WE NEED PICS! :cool:

Old 11-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
alanmcorcoran

The number of ways to do the Plexistar II correctly are near infinite. Doing it wrong gives you an even larger (imaginary) quantity of possibilities. However, I believe it is impossible to put it on either backwards or upside down.

You could put the mounting hardware on upside down or backwards, but if it works, it's not considered wrong.

The Plexistar II is about $125 and is very easy to install. You need a medium flat blade screw driver and a 19mm crescent wrench (it comes with a small allen wrench) It is also very easy to remove temporarily. A dealer might help reduce the adjustment time. Moe and I agree that if you have a buddy to hold it, or the bike or both, it can make the decisions on the initial install easier - although both of us did it solo. I think the Plexistar II will fit on a wide range of bikes so it might be a good choice for people with multiple bikes - you just need to order additional fork and handlebar mounts.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #15
mr. softie

Try lowering it to reduce buffeting. Seems counter intuitive I know. I have my shield raked same angle as forks. Top is 2-3 inches below line of sight. I felt much more buffeting when I was looking through it. Also raking it back more smooths out the airflow. Be patient, I effed with mine for weeks to get it right and it was worth it.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
alanmcorcoran

Thanks, Mr. S.

I have already done Major Effing Number One and I'm going to try it for a bit - want to get out on the freeway with it before further effing. Can't ride today - everything is on fire and the freeways are closed. If I discover something useful, I'll report it.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:10 AM   #17
alanmcorcoran

Did about 10 miles on the freeway today. Feels different with the windshield. Didn't get up over 65 or so, it was kind of a rough section I was on. Still not comfortable cornering hard on the grooved, scalloped and otherwise effed up concrete. But I've gotten very comfortable riding on asphalt at high speed. My windshield is fluttering against something I think - Not sure where, probably down by the fork. Have to check that out. Didn't move or shift at high speed though. Seems very solid. I think overall, this is a good choice for the GZ based on the fit, the quality and the eas of installation. Only real objection is whether one really wants a windshield or not. Still undecided. Since I am lazy, I'll probably leave it on for while.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #18
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Only real objection is whether one really wants a windshield or not. Still undecided. Since I am lazy, I'll probably leave it on for while.
I thought one of the advantages of that particular shield was "easy off"; that is, you could leave the mounts ON and fairly quickly and easily pull the shield off and on without disturbing the adjustments. Not so ??
Old 11-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #19
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
I thought one of the advantages of that particular shield was "easy off"; that is, you could leave the mounts ON and fairly quickly and easily pull the shield off and on without disturbing the adjustments. Not so ??
Not so. Easy off, yes, but not without totally undoing the adjustments. You could mark them on the brackets with tape or white paint or something prior to removal and the readjustments would go much more quickly.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #20
alanmcorcoran

Technically true. It is certainly easy off. The position of the shield could still vary on re-attachment as the angle of the handle bar mounting and the angle,depth and rotation/orientation of the fork mounts would not necessarily be preserved. Plus, if I take the wndshield off, I'm probably going to remove the mounts. They destroy some of the aesthetics of the bike.