Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 01-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #1

Plexistar 2 Windshield - Moedad, Alan?

I recently ordered a Plexistar 2 Windshield (based mostly on info I've read on this forum) and was wondering if Moedad was still around to offer me advice (I think Alan also had the Plexistar before he moved onto the Strat). I'm 5' 10", so do you think when I install I should try to raise it as much as possible from where it "naturally" sits above the headlight? As low as possible?

I've had my bike since late summer and have now added saddle bags/brackets and the windshield; I also think I'm a good candidate for the 16T sprocket, but after that I need to stop. My wife is starting to wonder about this motorcycle thing. In all seriousness, this forum has been invaluable - thanks to all who weigh in with advice/comments. Even when I don't participate in a thread, I learn a lot.

Keith

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
JWR

Re: Plexistar 2 Windshield - Moedad, Alan?

I do not have the Plexistar, but from experience I will share this:
Tall enough to completely get behind the shield to block all wind.
Short enough to get you head in the slipstream of the air.

For me , if the shield is between chin to eye level , does not work so well.

You will have to try different setting to see what works for you.
I know this didn't answer your question on placement, but this is what you will find out on your on.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Moedad

I'm alllllmost 5-10 and mine is mounted so I look over the top of it.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
I'm 5' 10", so do you think when I install I should try to raise it as much as possible from where it "naturally" sits above the headlight? As low as possible?
It might depend more on what is possible than what is desirable; that is, you may not have as much mounting flexibility as you want. I had to buy longer mounting rods for mine to get it just right (not the same model).

In general, higher is better because then you can vary the position of the top by changing the rake angle instead of moving the shield up and down. You need a slight rake angle to prevent the shield from acting like a sail; more angle = less resistance. I would recommend starting out with the top about at eye level; then you can adjust from there. It might take MANY days and lots of test rides to get it right. My last one took about 3 weeks !! O_o

The ultimate position is a matter of personal taste and depends mostly on what your main objective IS. If you want the best wind protection possible, then the shield needs to be high with only a minimum rake. That will probably let more wind in UNDER the shield but in hot weather that can be a good thing. Looking through the shield isn't a problem.......if you keep it clean and ride mostly in the daylight with no rain. You should NEVER mount one so high that you can't "stretch" and see over it because a few bugs or a little rain reflects oncoming headlights and makes it almost impossible to see through it at night or when very cloudy.

Most who have tried the 16T love it; a few didn't and went back.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

km,

I now have the benefit of two windshields... and yet, I still don't think I'm in a position to offer you any constructive advice. Here's some musings nonetheless:

1) I think the "rake" is almost as important as the height. I found it difficult to get the rake at the angle I wanted with the Plexistar. I actually messed around with it some more a couple of nights ago, but I'm still not 100% happy with it.
2) Despite what a previous poster said about getting it up as high as possible, my personal experience agrees with Moedad and Easy - you want to be able to look over the top at the horizon. It won't block all of the wind, but it will divert most of it.
3) You'll find that the shape of the plexistar gives you some conflict with the top of the fork in the handlebar clamp area. Spend some time studying the numerous ways the clamps and the attachment thingies can be put together to hold the "L" connectors. You'll want it to complement the lines of the bike, but not be too close to the fork - otherwise, you'll get rattling or vibration as it whacks against the bike in buffeting conditions.
4) Whe you first start with a windshield, your expectations may be too high. There will be residual currents of air floating around the sides and back of your helmet. Some are fixable, some are not. The ones that aren't you get used to after a while.
5) Here is my recommended sequence for the installing the Plexi: Once you have the hardware sorted out, work on getting the handlebar mounts on, and as high on the rise (before the bend) and symmetrical as you can. (The symmetry is in two dimensions - relative to the bars and rotation of the connectors.) You'll probably find some of the controls on the right side limit how high up you can go, and you also may notice the clamps don't fit perfectly, but are "close enough" given the bend in the bars. Once those are on as symmetrically as possible, loosely attach the windshield to the handlebar connectors, get the bottom tucked in towards the fork clamp, and start to visualize the height and how far forward of the fork you want to secure it. The blinkers and the fork clamp may be in your way. Before you secure anything too tight, always check the relative spacing right to left, space between the clutch and brake levers, relative height of the hand "bubbles" to the hand controls, even spacing on the lower cutout that sits in front of the top of the fork.

To be candid, I think it's best to get it on, ride it for a while, and then take a second or third whack at it. It's very adjustable, and that is both the benefit and the downside.

If you get the thing on perfectly, take a picture. Moe is selling his GZ but I still have mine.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Moedad

Here are a couple of pics of mine to give you an idea.

Zoomed in. I think Alan has his mounted high enough so the lowers aren't behind the blinkers. I'm actually pretty satisfied with mine where it is. I get some wind hitting the top of my helmet at freeway speeds, but it's not really bothersome.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #7
BusyWeb

[quote="Moedad"]Here are a couple of pics of mine to give you an idea.

Hi, Moedad.
I like your saddle bag and rear bag setup..
Um, it might be very helpful for the long run riding..
For the coming summer... I may need it.. :roll:
I found that Back-Pack and Messenger style bag is not good for the bikers.
Today, I put my stuffs to the rear bag from back-pack as raining.
I felt really comfort compare to the wearing back-pack.
And less exhaustion.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Nice bag set-up. Are those Cortech and are they expandable ?? Might be a solution for the new M 50 without breaking the bank.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #9
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Nice bag set-up. Are those Cortech and are they expandable ?? Might be a solution for the new M 50 without breaking the bank.
The saddlebags can be stuffed and get fatter than they look in these pictures, but they are not officially expandable. The tail tailbag does expand to the sides out over the saddlebags a couple of inches on each side.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #10
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyWeb
Hi, Moedad.
I like your saddle bag and rear bag setup..
Um, it might be very helpful for the long run riding..
For the coming summer... I may need it.. :roll:
I found that Back-Pack and Messenger style bag is not good for the bikers.
Today, I put my stuffs to the rear bag from back-pack as raining.
I felt really comfort compare to the wearing back-pack.
And less exhaustion.
Thanks, Busy. I look forward to using them all on a multiday ride. So far I've just loaded them up for pretend.