Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 01-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #11

Re: Plexistar 2 Windshield - Moedad, Alan?

Moedad, Alan and Others,

Thanks for the advice - your second picture is especially helpful, Moedad. I even have the same year/color as your (former?) bike - did you sell it yet, BTW? I know you live in California, but do you find the portion of the shield that covers the grips help cut down on your hands getting cold. My hands getting cold are the worst part of riding in cooler/cold weather, I find.

Keith

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

Quote:
My hands getting cold are the worst part of riding in cooler/cold weather, I find.
Do you wear gloves? Leather gloves with a nice lining will totally do the trick. Try thinsulate gloves too. I have deer skin thinsulate gloves and they keep my hands toasty toasty even when is like 30 outside.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #13
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_
Do you wear gloves? Leather gloves with a nice lining will totally do the trick. Try thinsulate gloves too. I have deer skin thinsulate gloves and they keep my hands toasty toasty even when is like 30 outside.

I also wear those same gloves but they only keep my hands warm for about 25-30 minutes of highway speeds and then its frozen finger time. Plus did you happen to notice that he is from Michigan, 30 degrees in Michigan is probably what they hope for on a nice Autumn day, so for the most part I doubt that our Thinsulate Deerskin gloves are going to cut it.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

They're soft though.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Cold hands can be a deal breaker with riding pleasure. The shield looks quite protective to me. Thinsulate Deer skin sounds like a good bet too. Get them in a gauntlet style to protect your wrists and block drafts. Symtec heated grips will make a difference too and the GZ will easily provide enough power for them. Lynda fell in love with her warm hands after a couple cool rides with heated grips. Cheap and easy to install too.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #16
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
Moedad, Alan and Others,

Thanks for the advice - your second picture is especially helpful, Moedad. I even have the same year/color as your (former?) bike - did you sell it yet, BTW? I know you live in California, but do you find the portion of the shield that covers the grips help cut down on your hands getting cold. My hands getting cold are the worst part of riding in cooler/cold weather, I find.

Keith
It actually does occasionally get cold out here (well, forty-ish) and, yes, the windshield makes a huge difference on your hands. You'll still want the gloves on though.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
I also wear those same gloves but they only keep my hands warm for about 25-30 minutes of highway speeds and then its frozen finger time.
If that is without any shield at all, then yes, properly positioned hand guards should double your freeze time. By that time, you may notice something ELSE getting cold !!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
music man

I don't have a Windshield at all. I have solved pretty much every part of my body getting cold EXCEPT for my hands, I just never have bitten the bullet to spend some serious cash on glove experiments. But for the most part when it is winter time I only ride 30 minutes to an hour at a time anyways, so it is really not too much of an issue.

Riding too long in the winter time regardless of your clothing choice could end up in you looking like this.....
Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

MM, check with New Enough for some closeout sales. You may find a good winter glove for less than you think. Also check webBikeWorld, they did a winter glove evaluation of 9 different glove and recommended a couple that would work very well without a bank loan.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #20

MM wrote . . . "Plus did you happen to notice that he is from Michigan, 30 degrees in Michigan is probably what they hope for on a nice Autumn day . . ."

It was 3 degrees below zero Farenheit this AM as I started up the car, recalling fondly those October mornings when I rode the bike to work and it was 37 degrees (and my hands still got cold, gloves and all!). I am really jealous of you warm weather, year round riders, but we live vicariously through your reports, so keep 'em coming!

Keith