Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 04-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: BIG pothole-Windshield BROKE

He could just use this...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #12
Sarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
The windshield is visually & structurally a great piece with alot of chrome on the face. The tiny Suzuki OEM windshield was about $200, but way too small. This one is by Custom World, and mounts on the fork tubes between the trees. It is available in several configurations, and is about $300. It is available here: http://www.motorcyclewindshield.com/...windshield.htm
Easy, this is from the previous post. Custom World is the mfgr. I used the 17" tinted windshield with Savage mount kit, but still had to pad the tube mounts with a piece of radiator hose. It really blocks alot of air and also has a small flip-up at the top that directs the tubulence over your helmet (angle dependent). It also fits well around the headlight. I'll PM you some big pictures if you want a closer look.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
mr. softie

I had a nice big old windshield on my GZ (Arthur Fulmer brand), had it tweaked perfect, very happy with it, then a scaffold got blown over onto it and broke the thing. The shield did save the bike though, not a scratch or dent. I replaced it with a small SpitFire windshield that worked really well. I liked the smaller shield better than the big one on the GZ for some reason. Kept the wind off my torso pretty well, more windy than the big windshield but less buffeting to my head.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #14
alanmcorcoran

Easy, I had originally ordered a Slipstreamer (SS30?) that was pretty darn big - and was strictly forkmount (the Plexistar is a hybrid.) It was a very nice windshield but it was poorly packaged -arrived with a piece missing, the grommetted mounting holes in the windshield didn't align well with the chromed sheet metal and the mounting kit was completely the wrong size.

But the windshield itself was quite nice!

As I stated in my original thread - you can mount the Plexistar in less than a half hour. But you can srew around with it forever. I have found when I get the top to where I like it, the wind comes in from the bottom. But I think I am taller than you so it might be a good fit. To answer your orginal question, there are partial lowers - you'll find they want to be right aorund where the turn signals are. Also, it has excellent hand grip coverage, unlike the shield on my Strat.

The center bottom is curved and cut out and almost looks like it was designed to go around the speedometer - which it does quite nicely.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
What is the height of those Plexistar 2's? They might be a little too tall for you and you'd be looking right at or through the top edge which wouldn't help your vision at all.

I have a SlipStreamer SS28 fairing type windshield
SlipStreamer......that's the other one I wanted to look at; Thank you!

As for height, I prefer a tall shield and I DO look through the very top when in my "normal" seating position. I can, then, "sit up" and see over it .........which I found out the hard way years ago is NECESSARY when you get caught in the rain at night.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
He could just use this...
That might be more comfortable than the stock seat !! :biggrin:
Old 04-03-2009, 01:27 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

A shield that is wide enough to protect your hands will greatly lengthen your riding season.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
A shield that is wide enough to protect your hands will greatly lengthen your riding season.
:plus1: to the above as far as the Plexistar goes.

But, Easy, I put the Plexistar on my bike about a month ago and have been messing with it ever since. I'm not sure you'll like it if you want it to be as tall as your previous sheild. Don't recall the dimensions at the moment, but I know the Plexistar was not as big as yours; plus, to get it as tall as possible lets in too much wind (and noise) under the bottom (personal preference, I know).

Windshileds, as has been stated here, is an exercise in compromise. I discovered that I don't like looking through the shield at all, nor the noise and wind from under the bottom. The price I have to pay, then, is a little more head buffeting. I know Easy and others already know this, but for newer folks, don't have unrealistic expectations - a windshield will cut down on a lot of wind fatigue, will provide some protection from objects, etc., but it's not like you'll feel like you're riding in a car. You're still on a motorcycle, for goodness sakes.

Keith

Old 04-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #19
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior

You're still on a motorcycle, for goodness sakes.
Not with one of these bad boys!:

:??:

http://gizmodo.com/5014716/rocketshield ... -sportbike

Quote:
In the big book of ideas that sound better than they probably are, you will find the Rocketshield canopy for sportbikes. Obviously, the device is intended for people who are looking to turn their sportbike into a viable daily commuter, but the whole damn thing just seems a bit unnatural and dangerous if you ask me. On the plus side, it does attach using stock mounting points, so no modifications to the bike are necessary to install it. At this point, Rocketshields can be custom designed to fit your needs, but a deal is currently in the works to mass produce the canopy (most likely for Kawasaki bikes).
Old 04-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #20
alantf

Over here, some of the city plice (policia local) ride BMW scooters with a roof, & - believe it or not - SEAT BELTS! What would happen in a slide, I don't know, but I believe the law says that if seat belts are fitted to a vehicle, they must be used. Strangely enough (LOL) I've never seen civilians riding them.