Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 04-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
dannylightning

Re: led kit and visability at night

well it's summer weather here finally and there are bikes all over the place. at night just about every one and there brother is riding bike around with those led kits on them. so it must be legal

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

INDIRECT light is usually legal. DIRECT light is what will get you busted.

Thats the laws here in PA.

I currently have 138 led's on the shadow, if you havent seen the video in "other bikes" forum. There is virtually zero current draw on the battery. I've left them on for hours just pulsing away and the bike starts up just fine.

I also had LEDs on the GZ (engine compartment) ... and had NO trouble. Left them on for 3 days .. on the 4th day, it finally drained the battery. So everyone who DOESN'T have them installed who replied, is just guessing. Take it from someone who had them installed ... you will be just fine installing LEDs on the GZ.

If you are STILL unsure about the legality ... ask a cop ... you can usually find them at the donut shops and 7-11s.

I took a chance on my shadow all lit up AND pulsating .. had two cops kinda look, give a nod and keep on going. So i guess im good to go lol.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #13
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
If you are STILL unsure about the legality ... ask a cop ... you can usually find them at the donut shops and 7-11s.
i have a few good friend that are cops, they play in a punk rock band called drop gun so there not all big fat donut eating slobs haha. they live back in ohio where im origionally from. if i decide to go with a led kit ill call the police dept first just to make sure. but im pretty sure they are legal since i see so many bikes driving around with them.

i saw that video of your bike and the led kit.. that's a pretty rockin kit im pretty sure saw those for sale on ebay, can you also make those stay one solid color.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
David Bo

I put some on this weekend... 18 on the left and 18 on the right. All held on by double sided sticky tape. I chose green to match the color of my bike. Here is a photo.

They are actually not quite as bright as the picture shows. I am not very good at night photography. They light up the engine perfectly and really brighten up the road beneath you.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #15
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bo
I put some on this weekend... 18 on the left and 18 on the right. All held on by double sided sticky tape. I chose green to match the color of my bike. Here is a photo.

They are actually not quite as bright as the picture shows. I am not very good at night photography. They light up the engine perfectly and really brighten up the road beneath you.
damn dude that thing is lit up like the 4th of july.. that would really get noticed at night..

looks good, i don't think i want to go quite that bright. im thinking 3 or 4 on each side of the engine and 4 of them under the rear fender. just enough to get noticed.

if you hook these thing direct to the battery with a toggle switch to turn them off and on it wont put drain on the battery when there off right?? seems like the easiest way to hook them up. when i was younger i had some neon lights in side of my car and i think that was how i hooked them up to the car.

i love things that light up for some reason. if its got colorful lights i'm in love ahahah

Old 04-27-2009, 01:19 AM   #16
Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning

i saw that video of your bike and the led kit.. that's a pretty rockin kit im pretty sure saw those for sale on ebay, can you also make those stay one solid color.
What i have is NOT sold on ebay. DO NOT buy LED kits from ebay!!! They are junk. Plain and simple. All you get is single LEDs on 8" leads, control box and some wire connectors. Total garbage and a wiring night mare!!!

If you REALLY want good LEDs ... contact me via PM or email me and i will show you where to go to get what i have. You can get any amount of lights you want in many different lengths.

What they are ... are flexible LED strips. Totally encased in clear plastic with 4' leads with connectors already built in, control box with soldered connectors for simple click n play, wire ties, 3m double stick tape ... its one of the BEST and cheapest kits i can find. They are comaprible to the flex lights sold on Custom Dynamics website http://www.customdynamics.com/stingerz_ ... lights.htm The guy that i deal with, makes them custom and is MUCH cheaper than custom dynamics prices .. big time.

The dude is from the shadow forum i frequent and makes these custom for whatever your needs are. For what you want, it would prob cost you about $10 per 2.5" light strip, $15 per 4.7" strip and up depending on the lengths. Im sure you could get away with spending only $60 or less and do what you described above and have some kick ass flexible, weather durable, bright leds

I just finished off the shadow tonight (did the wheel wells) with that guys kit ... and man it looks amazing. I'll post video this week ...

Oh and yes, you can stop it at any color you wish. He also sells solid colors too.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 04-27-2009, 01:24 AM   #17
Dupo

Quote:
if i decide to go with a led kit ill call the police dept first just to make sure. but im pretty sure they are legal since i see so many bikes driving around with them.
I'm sure the police station will just tell you that they are illegal. You'll get some dumbass who thinks you'll be talking about neons which are mostly illegal everywhere.

Best bet, grab one of your cop buds who play in that band and ask them. I'd say if you see bikes galore around you that are lit up, its legal, same as around here. Theres a bunch of choppers and a few big cruiser types with them on all the time. Bike nights they'll pull in, cops and all ... and no one says anything. Thats why i just slapped mine on and rode off. I figured whats the worst that can happen .. they say its illegal and i turn them off when im in town

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 04-27-2009, 05:57 AM   #18
alantf

Quote:

if you hook these thing direct to the battery
If you do that PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE AN INLINE FUSE. If you don't, any short circuit (including scraped wiring) can/will cause some very nasty things to happen to the battery. Also, the effects of these "very nasty things" can have other "very nasty things" happen when they mix with petrol vapour!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
but im pretty sure they are legal since i see so many bikes driving around with them.
But that is just a guess; somewhat of a risk unless you know for sure.

My guess is: If the lights are red or blue, you are taking a chance; even more of a chance if they flash.

Enough preaching; it's your $50 at risk. :biggrin:
Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #20
David Bo

I agree with Easy... Red or Blue in the state of Massachuseets means Fire Dept, Ambulance, or Police. That is why I chose green. If I get pulled over, I'll just tell them I'm a tree-hugger.