Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #21
dannylightning

Re: led kit and visability at night

i see red and blue here. looks like they like to match the color of their bikes with the lights. i would either want to go with blue or orange or one that changes colors. if i start doing a lot of night driving im definately gonna get a kit of they dont cost too much. and i can take it off and install it on the next bike i get.

at one point in time in ohio the red and blue were illegal. but now all colors are legal there. looks like they are legal here in tennessee too.

my chain guard fell off today guess the screws vibrated out of there some how. i had it off a bout a week ago and thought i had it snugged down pretty tight.. i still have the chain guard but the bolts are gone. glad i heard a clanking sound and pulled over before that fell off and got lost.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Loktite is your friend.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #23
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Loktite is your friend.

But not the red kind, unless you NEVER want it to come back off. :2tup:

Old 04-29-2009, 05:50 AM   #24
dannylightning

[quote=music man]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":1z7yqvqz
Loktite is your friend.

But not the red kind, unless you NEVER want it to come back off. :2tup:[/quote:1z7yqvqz]

i will buy a vat of locktite and dip the bike in it. nothing will ever come loose again haha..
I wonder if i reversed the screws when i put them back on.. but i don't see why both holes wouldn't have the exact same thread pattern..

but that is probably good advice i have never used it before so im glad you said not to get the red kind..
Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #25
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
at one point in time in ohio the red and blue were illegal. but now all colors are legal there.
Danny, buddy..........

You can put whatever you want on a vehicle......as long as they are not turned on while the vehicle is on a public street.

I can pretty much guarantee you that RED and BLUE lights are ***NOT*** legal on a moving vehicle anywhere in the U.S., if they are visable from the front or side. If they flash or change color it's 100% they are not legal....on a moving vehicle.

You can absolutely do whatever you want. Providing bad advice to others, however, is not good.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #26
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
I can pretty much guarantee you that RED and BLUE lights are ***NOT*** legal on a moving vehicle anywhere in the U.S., if they are visable from the front or side. If they flash or change color it's 100% they are not legal....on a moving vehicle.

You can absolutely do whatever you want. Providing bad advice to others, however, is not good.

Bad Advice???????? in ohio it was fine to have red and blue neon lights while driving, flashing ones would be a different story or if you had red and blue lights on at the same time that would be a porblem.. but regular solid color neon lights are fine.... i have 4 good friends that are police officers and detectives in ohio, i think they would know the law on that kind of thing... unless they have changed the law again since i have left that state. if you want i will email my police friends and ask them again..
Old 04-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #27
Easy Rider

Quote:
Bad Advice????????
Yes. I'm sorry but it IS bad advice.

Some things are NOT different by State because they are mandated at the Federal level by the Federal Uniform Vehicle Code.
Some of those things have to do with lighting.....like red lights must NOT be visible from the front of a vehicle....and blue lights are not allowed anywhere on a vehicle, once again....while the vehicle is moving and/or on a public roadway.

If the cops in a given juristiction elect not to enforce it, that is a WHOLE different matter and can change with no notice at all. And "Danny said it is OK" would not be an acceptable defense !!!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #28
dannylightning

i found a page on neon lightning vehicles laws in ohio, it states that neon lights are legal in ohio.. as long as the bulbs are hidden and have less than 300 candle power, if they have more than 300 candle power they must be directed to strike the pavement and must not exceed 700 candle power, red and blue lights are also legal under a vehicle in ohio as long as the light is directed to the pavement and they do not flash or pulsate. neon lights are only illegal if they are mounted any place on the top of the vehicle, how ever the revised code for neon lights in ohio states that no color neon lightning is allowed to flash or pulsate while driving due to a distraction to other drivers..

i found this information on a police site for driving laws. i have emailed 2 of my police buddies to confirm this is correct. ill let you know when i get a answer back.

i cant seem to find any thing on the net for these laws in Tennessee

i did find another site that said most states encourage lightning kits for motorcycles due to better viability at night witch helps reduce the number of motorcycle accidents. i do not know how creditable that site was it was not any kind of official site law enforcement or court system site. but that is what it claimed. how ever i would not rely on that statement even tho it sounds perfectly logical..
Old 04-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #29
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Pennsylvania allows LEDs but not neons. Again, they must be indirect light, not direct just as danny pointed out. Any color is legal ... red and or blue cannot pulse or flash.

I have also seen on PA's website that they encourage lighting on motorcycles 'to be seen better'. They, of course, do not say "what" kind of lighting ... but we'll assume 'any' lighting within the laws are suitable, including LEDs.

so...Pennsylvania says its OK.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 04-30-2009, 08:42 AM   #30
Easy Rider

Quote:
i found a page on neon lightning vehicles laws in ohio, it states that neon lights are legal in ohio..
Good info........for anybody in Ohio.
It probably means that you will be OK if you are careful (and use a little common sense) about how you mount them.

Two potential problems remain, however.
How is one to know if the lights exceed 300 cp AND if any LEO wants to get you, the law you looked up is specifically for neon and not for LEDs. Probably OK 99% of the time but that remaining 1% could be a big pain in the ass.

Definitely need an OFF switch just incase!