Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 09-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist
Re: hard bags on ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
How about some reflective tape for better visibility. White on front, amber on sides and red on the back. Yah, you can call me paranoid but it does help in the grand scheme of things. Wall Mart sells 3M stuff that works well and won't break the bank.
Or you can get the best of both worlds with some retro-reflective decals.

Quick google search turned up these. Some are a little cheesy, but I bet if you looked around some you could find something that suited your style.
http://www.streetglo.net/
http://www.reflectivedecals.com/moto.htm

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
Orpheus

Has anyone seen these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-MOTO ... ccessories

The dimensions seem right, and since they have built-in turn signals, you can just remove the stock ones. I'm thinking about trying them out when I get paid. Does anybody see anything that I might have missed that would suggest they won't work?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
greenhorn

Haven't tried them, but they look very nice & the price is great! Let us know how you like them & post picts. too!!! :2tup:

M

Old 01-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Are hard bags a priority ? You can get soft bags with more capacity for about the same $$.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #15
dubwise

Mine were from the same seller, and they're pretty flimsy.
They work, though, and the price is right.
I like that they include mounting hardware.
Might even work on the GZ250.
I haven't looked at the dimensions.
Will they clear the muffler?

Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #16
Orpheus

Water Warrior:
I've got the Suzuki soft bags; I've had them for about two years now, and I'm really not too impressed with them. I just figured that as much camping/day-tripping as I do, the hard bags would be a little more durable and just look cooler in general (I've also put on driver and passenger floorboards and I'm putting on an engine guard as soon as I buy one). I'm basically beefing it up like it's a fully-dressed cruiser.

Dubwise:
I think these are pretty much the same dimensions as the ones you got, but a little longer and deeper (they're 19 3/8" long x 11" high x 7 1/2" wide, including the chrome); the height is still the same, though. How flimsy are these things? Would they be sturdy enough to hold camping supplies (clothes, food, and maybe a flashlight and survival kit) and maybe have a tent or sleeping bag bungeed to them? I have the Suzuki luggage rack, which is where I usually store most of the big stuff, but I'd like to be able to fit some of my supplies in there, as well as be able to use them to take my books/laptop, etc. to work.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #17
dubwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
How flimsy are these things? Would they be sturdy enough to hold camping supplies (clothes, food, and maybe a flashlight and survival kit) and maybe have a tent or sleeping bag bungeed to them?
Sure. However, drop the bike on them and they wouldn't even slow it down. They'd just vaporize.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #18
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubwise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
How flimsy are these things? Would they be sturdy enough to hold camping supplies (clothes, food, and maybe a flashlight and survival kit) and maybe have a tent or sleeping bag bungeed to them?
Sure. However, drop the bike on them and they wouldn't even slow it down. They'd just vaporize.
Well, I'll just try to be sure that I don't drop it then... :tongue:
Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Something to consider when packing bags. Soft flexible bags have a bit of give to them and a lot more will fit into them. My Vstrom has hard bags while Lynda's bike has soft bags. Guess who can haul the most ? Hard bags will hold less and any corners are not user friendly. Hard bags are just one container while soft bags will generally have a variety of pockets for odds and ends plus the main interior. Lynda put Nelson Rigg bags on her bike and they are very good quality with a very good warranty to fall back on if necessary. Check out N R. you might be surprised at the features and user friendly mounting straps/method which are a real bonus when loading/unloading. For the price the bags were an exceptional value IMHO.

This pic also has the top bag which is expandable and will hold a ton of stuff with lots of extra interior exterior pockets.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #20
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Something to consider when packing bags. Soft flexible bags have a bit of give to them and a lot more will fit into them. My Vstrom has hard bags while Lynda's bike has soft bags. Guess who can haul the most ? Hard bags will hold less and any corners are not user friendly. Hard bags are just one container while soft bags will generally have a variety of pockets for odds and ends plus the main interior. Lynda put Nelson Rigg bags on her bike and they are very good quality with a very good warranty to fall back on if necessary. Check out N R. you might be surprised at the features and user friendly mounting straps/method which are a real bonus when loading/unloading. For the price the bags were an exceptional value IMHO.

This pic also has the top bag which is expandable and will hold a ton of stuff with lots of extra interior exterior pockets.
Yeah. One thing I definitely have to think about is that this is my only form of transportation for the moment, and I don't want to have to take a backpack every time I go to buy groceries (although I do have a leather tail bag that I could put on). Probably couldn't even fit a six-pack in one of them. They sure do look nice, though. I'll post some pictures and a review if I do decide to buy them.