http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/tirepaint.htm

YMMV

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #22
matt_giz

Re: White wall tires for the gz 250?

Ok guys, thanks for you help. I've been doing some digging around, called a few tyre fitters etc, and at last I may have found a solution. See below.

For the front:

Avon Gangster AM9 MT90-16 74H (110/90-16) White Wall Tyre

and for the rear:

Continental Milestone CM2 130/90-15 M/C 66P White Wall Tyre OR the D404 From Dunlop.

My issue of course is that they are different brands of tyre, in an ideal world I'd buy them as a pair but this, boys and girls just isn't possible. If you want a set of white walls for your GZ you have to buy the front in one brand and the rear in another. This however generally isn't recommended by tyre fitters.

Also, the rear tyre fitted to the bike in the pictures above is infact an Avon Venom - However it looks slightly wider than a 130/90-15. I checked this out and Avon did used to sell a 140/90-15 apparently or one close anyway, I can't remember which one exactly now but it was damn close! Provided you don't go too wide, you should still be able to fit a wider tyre on the rear. Haven't looked in to slightly wider whitewalls yet, but I will and get back to you.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #23
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_giz
My issue of course is that they are different brands of tyre, in an ideal world I'd buy them as a pair but this, boys and girls just isn't possible. If you want a set of white walls for your GZ you have to buy the front in one brand and the rear in another. This however generally isn't recommended by tyre fitters.
When I still had the GZ, I had two totally different brands and styles of tire treads on it. I rode it when it did have the same tire treads on it and when it didn't, and honestly I couldn't tell any difference. Now if you were on a bike that you were going to scrape the pegs going 70 in a curve, or you were going to go 160 down the freeway I might not advise that, but on the GZ, I don't see that much of a problem. Just make sure the speed and load ratings are pretty much the same and you should be fine. :2tup:

Old 07-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #24
blaine

Quote:

Also, the rear tyre fitted to the bike in the pictures above is infact an Avon Venom - However it looks slightly wider than a 130/90-15. I checked this out and Avon did used to sell a 140/90-15 apparently or one close anyway, I can't remember which one exactly now but it was damn close! Provided you don't go too wide, you should still be able to fit a wider tyre on the rear. Haven't looked in to slightly wider whitewalls yet, but I will and get back to you.
A 140/90-15 will fit on the rear,as I have one on the rear of mine.You need to put a washer behind the strut bar next to the hub for a little extra clearance. :2tup:

Old 07-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #25
matt_giz

Quote:
For the front:

Avon Gangster AM9 MT90-16 74H (110/90-16) White Wall Tyre
CORRECTION - this is not a 110/90-16 tyre, this is a 140/90-16 tyre and may not fit on the front. Maybe if you remove the front fender it might but with the front fender on definately not.

Sorry guys.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #26
matt_giz

This should work on the front instead, see below.

Front Tyre: Shinko Classic 240. Available in single or double white wall. Tyre size is 130/90-16. Again you may have to remove the front fender as the tyre is slightly wider than the stock 110/90-16.

Who needs a front fender anyway! :cool:
Old 07-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #27
blaine

Quote:
This should work on the front instead, see below.

Front Tyre: Shinko Classic 240. Available in single or double white wall. Tyre size is 130/90-16. Again you may have to remove the front fender as the tyre is slightly wider than the stock 110/90-16.

Who needs a front fender anyway! :cool:

That tire is too wide for the front rim,as the front rim is 1/2 inch narrower than the rear rim.You are going up two sizes, 20m.m,3/4 inch.If you did get it on the rim,you would prematurely wear out the center of the tire because of the narrow rim. :bong: :cool:

Old 07-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #28
matt_giz

Quote:
That tire is too wide for the front rim,as the front rim is 1/2 inch narrower than the rear rim.You are going up two sizes, 20m.m,3/4 inch.If you did get it on the rim,you would prematurely wear out the center of the tire because of the narrow rim.
Hmmm.. yeah you're probably right. Over time I imagine you would wear out the tyre's center. Depends on how often you use the bike I guess.

I'm pretty sure this is the tyre used by one of our white walled members, can't remember his name now, I wonder if he's noticed significant tyre wear on his? If you're reading this mate let me know.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #29
blaine

Quote:
Quote:
That tire is too wide for the front rim,as the front rim is 1/2 inch narrower than the rear rim.You are going up two sizes, 20m.m,3/4 inch.If you did get it on the rim,you would prematurely wear out the center of the tire because of the narrow rim.
Hmmm.. yeah you're probably right. Over time I imagine you would wear out the tyre's center. Depends on how often you use the bike I guess.

I'm pretty sure this is the tyre used by one of our white walled members, can't remember his name now, I wonder if he's noticed significant tyre wear on his? If you're reading this mate let me know.
That is proper width for the rear,although I run a 140/90-15 on the rear. :yes:

Old 07-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #30
gzrat

Hey there I have the whitewalls on my GZ. The front wears just fine and my rear as well. I'm running an Avon Venom in the rear. It's a 150 and it cuts it a little close with the chain and looks great compared to the old tire. I will try to get specs off the front tire tomorrow. Good luck