Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
alantf

Re: Baron Engine Guard?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
There aren't that many bars for the GZ so anything that we find is a bonus.
This is from the SPAAN catalogue.[attachment=0:btb0f92w]Untitled-1.jpg[/attachment:btb0f92w]

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Nice stuff Alantf but too bad it would cost so much to import the stuff. Oh wait, is that stuff available in Britain ? I have heard that moto parts from Britain can be relatively cheap when imported to the U.S. and Canada.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
alantf

Try googleing amazon.com > motorcycle & ATV equipment. You might be pleasantly surprised by what they're selling occasionally, & they seem to have decent prices. For instance, the leather jacket that I bought over here - I checked amazon last week, & they were selling the exact same jacket for little more than half what I paid.( plus delivery to Spain is now free for orders over £25) :2tup:

Old 07-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
HumbleNewRider

Thanks for posting these pictures and the link to the Baron engine guard. I was concerned about the MC Enterprise engine guard, as I had seen in another post that it interferred with the brake lever. I know the GZ use to have a really high brake lever but on the 2008 model I bought the lever is in a lower, closer to horizontal, position. So, I was particular concerned about that problem. I'll order the Baron. (I liked the size look of the SPAAN engine guard, but didn't find those during my Internet search.)
Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #15
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleNewRider
Thanks for posting these pictures and the link to the Baron engine guard. I was concerned about the MC Enterprise engine guard, as I had seen in another post that it interferred with the brake lever. I know the GZ use to have a really high brake lever but on the 2008 model I bought the lever is in a lower, closer to horizontal, position. So, I was particular concerned about that problem. I'll order the Baron. (I liked the size look of the SPAAN engine guard, but didn't find those during my Internet search.)
You should be able to adjust brake lever heighth.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 AM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Oh my, I'd forgotten about the Baron bars. Yup they look like they will suit larger hooves on a GZ rider. As mentioned, the brake pedal is adjustable so you shouldn't have any problems overall. Keep in mind after you adjust the pedal height you should check for the brake light function too. The rear brake light switch is easily adjusted and it is found just to the rear of the pedal itself.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:23 AM   #17
alantf

For some reason, ALL GZs come from the factory with the brake lever set far too high (and not even set to Suzuki's own spec). You should adjust it so that in a comfortable riding position, your foot is slightly ABOVE it. That way, when you go for the rear brake, you can push down straight away, and not need to move your foot to bring it above the pedal. While you're at it, check that the gear shift pedal is in a comfortable position. That, also, may need adjusting. :2tup:
Old 07-16-2012, 05:20 AM   #18
HumbleNewRider

"ALL GZs come from the factory with the brake lever set far too high"

I just thought the older models (like I rode in the MSF class) had poorly designed brake levers. As you said, you have to really lift your foot up high to get on the brake. Not good for fast braking! I guess the 2008 model I bought used had just been adjusted to a safe position. I thought Suzuki just modified / improved the lever.

I avoided the MC Enterprise engine guard; because, I thought I'd have to adjust the brakelever to that awkward position to avoid interfering with the engine guard.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #19
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleNewRider

I just thought the older models (like I rode in the MSF class) had poorly designed brake levers. As you said, you have to really lift your foot up high to get on the brake.
This really shocks me. I would have thought that these so called experts, who are paid to teach novice riders, would have made sure that the controls were set up properly, to at least a position that would suit the average rider. :??:
Old 07-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #20
HumbleNewRider

Alantf --- they told me that all Suzuki's have really high brake levers. I just believed them. They had about 1/2 dozen GZ250s for the class. Brake lever was the same on all of them.

Oh! I want to say thanks for a post you made (I'm not sure when, maybe a few years ago) stating an engine guard's real value is protecting the rider.

Until reading that, I had considered "maybe" getting an engine guard for the bigger bike. But, your post was enough to convince me I need to suck it up and pay the $200 per bike for "crash guards" for both of them. My 17 year old son has just started riding --- and I'm essentially a new rider, haven't not ridden in decades (and not knowing all that much when I did ride). Trying to do it as safely as possible this time around.

Good advice!