Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
greatmaul

spare fuel bottle

I ordered a primus 1.5 liter fuel bottle on ebay for $15 shipped. They're for camping fuel, but I've heard that motorcyclists use them all the time to store extra fuel.

I know that 1.5L is only about 1/3 gallon so it will get me another 20 miles or so if I have to use it, but still, I'll feel a tiny bit safer even though it's kind of like a little molotov cocktail in my trunk. I'm thinking I'll dump it in the tank about once a month and refill it to keep the fuel fresh.

What I really wanted was a 5 liter (a bit over a gallon) small jerry can but that might be overkill if I'm not going on any sort of a long trip.

edited to add: and no it's not a water bottle! The gaskets on metal water bottles are not designed for fuel and will swell up right away and the bottle will leak all over. These are supposed to be fairly safe. :whistle:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
mole2

Re: spare fuel bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmaul

I ordered a primus 1.5 liter fuel bottle on ebay for $15 shipped. They're for camping fuel, but I've heard that motorcyclists use them all the time to store extra fuel.

I know that 1.5L is only about 1/3 gallon so it will get me another 20 miles or so if I have to use it, but still, I'll feel a tiny bit safer even though it's kind of like a little molotov cocktail in my trunk. I'm thinking I'll dump it in the tank about once a month and refill it to keep the fuel fresh.

What I really wanted was a 5 liter (a bit over a gallon) small jerry can but that might be overkill if I'm not going on any sort of a long trip.

edited to add: and no it's not a water bottle! The gaskets on metal water bottles are not designed for fuel and will swell up right away and the bottle will leak all over. These are supposed to be fairly safe. :whistle:
I certainly wouldn't want to have an accident with that on my bike. It could light you up like a candle.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
mrlmd1

They're pretty solid, used by off roaders all the time to carry extra fuel. Probably stronger than your gas tank.
Some of the aluminum water bottles will work, it depends on what the rubber gasket is made of (nitrile, fuel resistant is OK) - you have to test them.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Gz Rider

Old 12-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Why do you want to do this? The GZ already has a range in the neighborhood of 210-250 miles. What's another 20?
Try riding way up north to Alaska and the Yukon. You may get to the Arctic Circle but you can't buy gas to get back. Once you leave civilization as most of us know it the availability of gas and services are few and far between. Carry enough gas going in and burn it up coming out.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Gz Rider

Old 12-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
blaine

Quote:
Also some on this board have discussed a phenomenon of carb icing that you should be aware of depending on when you go.
If you are riding in lower temps,it is a good idea to keep a fuel line ani-freeze in the fuel to prevent "icing"
:2tup:

Old 12-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
Gz Rider

Old 12-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Gas line antifreeze is a thing of the past isn't it ?? Most modern fuels have up to 10% of the stuff already.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Sorry greatmaul, I mistook Water Warrior's response for yours.

To: Water Warrior- my own non senior moment!
Good practice for your Golden Years. :lol: