Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 12-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
blaine

Re: spare fuel bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Gas line antifreeze is a thing of the past isn't it ?? Most modern fuels have up to 10% of the stuff already.
You can still get it no problem.Or a lot of the additives already have some in them.I was thinking more along the lines of moister in tank it's self,rather than in the fuel.I still see a lot of stranded motorist's,with frozen fuel lines from running the vehicle on the low side instead of keeping the tank full.
:cool:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #12
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Gas line antifreeze is a thing of the past isn't it ?? Most modern fuels have up to 10% of the stuff already.
You can still get it no problem.Or a lot of the additives already have some in them.I was thinking more along the lines of moister in tank it's self,rather than in the fuel.I still see a lot of stranded motorist's,with frozen fuel lines from running the vehicle on the low side instead of keeping the tank full.
The ethanol in the fuel is the same thing as gas line antifreeze. That's where the problem of phase separation comes from - the ethanol absorbs water and separates from the fuel. If you're using enthanol fuel you really don't need to add more to the tank.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #13
greatmaul

Well, it's just peace of mind. I don't think I get 210-250 miles on a tank. I'm all freeway, all the time, and my round trip is about 170 miles. I'm averaging in the low 50's mpg and have had to hit the reserve quite a few times on my way towards the gas station, even when I haven't made any side trips.

Unfortunately, there's a big gap between Sacramento and Marysville which I drive through. It's straight up the Sacramento Valley by freeway, and it's all farmland and no (open) gas stations for a good 40 mile stretch.

I do try to drive conservatively, but it's open freeway, and I just feel unsafe sometimes going 50 when everyone else is going 70.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
Gz Rider

Old 12-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #15
greatmaul

Right, I do know that gas station. It's very cute, but old fashioned and is open during regular hours, and my night commute is from about 11:30pm to 1:20am. The smaller roads would be fine if I wasn't in any sort of hurry, but would probably change my commute time from almost 2 hours to closer to 3 1/2 hours a night.

I'm not always at 50, just when I don't want to wind up the engine. If I work at it, I can stay up over 60, but I'm really always looking for a big rig to shadow. It's funny, once I get to the city I can sport around at 65 all day long in 5th because there are so many wind breaks around me.

I'm starting to realize that I need a different bike. I love my little GZ dearly, but there is only one thing it isn't good at, and that isn't fun on it, and that's extended freeway. And, there's only one thing I use it for, and that's the same. Also, I don't want to run the poor thing into the ground. I'm keeping my eye out for a nice little V-Strom or BMW F650, or even a Vulcan 500.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #16
Gz Rider

Old 12-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

The Vstrom would be cheaper overall to own and operate. Also the 650/90 degree V-twin is very smooth compared to a 650 thumper. Are your legs long enough to straddle an adventure bike ?
Old 12-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #18
greatmaul

I think so, I'm a good 6ft tall. I'm really looking for good mileage. There are apparently a lot of motorcycles in the 500+ cc range that are capable of getting 60-70mpg:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/Motorcyc ... r500cc.htm

All dependent, as you say, on the position of the right hand of course
Old 12-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #19
greatmaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
That Vulcan 500 would be my first choice up from the GZ. It's discontinued status bothers me though but then the GZ and many others have been discontinued in the last few years.
I read your recommendation elsewhere here about the Vulcan 500 and that immediately put it at the top of my list.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #20
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmaul

I read your recommendation elsewhere here about the Vulcan 500 and that immediately put it at the top of my list.
I have the older Ltd 454.(predecessor of the Vulcan.Same engine.)Also the same engine in the 500 Ninja.This engine has legendary power for it's size.It can out pull bikes twice it's size.It is also very reliable & fuel efficient.(50 to 55 MPG).Don't shy away just because they are discontinued.The engines have not changed since 1985.