Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2020, 01:29 AM   #1
BigYikes

Well.. Its rough, but my first bike. Howdy Yall

Howdy fellas, had a 2005 land in my lap, got it from a buddy for $150 and its kind of rough. Runs(if and when it feels like it) and has some cosmetic issues. First bike I've ever ridden and owned. I'm a heavy line diesel tech so I'm not a newbie to engines, but definitely never messed with bikes.

I'm definitely needing a few things for it if anyone knows a good parts source that doesn't price gouge. Was messin with it this evening and it decided to dump fuel out of what I'm assuming is the breather. The fuel petcock was turned idk which way but it ran for a minute and then dumped fuel.

Definitely got a ways to go before this bikes road worthy, but I'm definitely excited to be apart of the community finally with a pretty decent bike!

Hmu if any yalls in the Texas Panhandle and wouldn't mind helpin out a greenhorn with this stuff 😂
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1747169481.jpg (102.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-496471353.jpg (102.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-308357760.jpg (99.0 KB, 6 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-23-2020, 10:59 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

How 'bout those Cowboys! Just kidding. It is hard to diagnose fuel problems remotely, but there are a few things that could cause your fuel dumping problem. If the bike has been sitting for a while, I could almost bet that you need to go through the carburetor and clean it at the very least. Could be the float or needle valve are stuck allowing fuel to dump into the air cleaner box. As far as the fuel petcock is concerned, for normal operation the long part of the handle should point forward (9 o'clock). To switch it to reserve, the handle should point straight back (3 o'clock). In both these positions, fuel will not flow until the engine turns over and creates vacuum, pulling a diaphragm open and allowing fuel into the carburetor. You will see a vacuum hose on the back side of the petcock going to the carburetor. If you turn fuel petcock handle straight down, that is the prime setting and will allow fuel to flow freely into the carburetor. That might be what happened.
I hope this helps you understand how the system works. There is a good tutorial on this website with pictures and possibly a video. It has been a while since I worked on my fuel system. Going forward, I would recommend you put some Seafoam into your fuel tank about every 6 months. It keeps everything squeaky clean. I use 1 .oz for every gallon capacity (about 3.5 .oz). Good luck and let us know how things turn out.