Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 07-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
RichInFla

Introduction - As new as you get

Hello all. This might be a little long, but figured I'd better give you all the background so I might get better feedback. I've never driven before and took the MSF class in our area in June (as of 7/1/08, in Florida the class is required to get motorcycle endorsement). Barely passed (aced the written though). I'm over 40 and very level headed, so I'm not some 20-year old speed freak (like my step-son, longer story !!). I travel locally for work and my Jeep barely gets 20 MPG, so it's an economy thing for me.

Bought my gz250 last weekend, 2000 with 5k miles, great condition. Managed to get the 13 miles home (only one stall and wife following behind in the mini-van (don't laugh) to "block", but I know I really need to get out and practice. My neighbor, who is a Harley rider (since birth probably), is going to take me to a new housing subdivision where the roads are in place but only one house. He says it's nice and curvy, which is what I feel I need to work on.

I know I need to practice, so I refuse to immediately get out there on the road. At this point, I don't want to be a danger to myself or anyone else. I know my limitations and limited skill level. As I notice more scooters and bikes on the road as I drive my Jeep, I often find myself shaking my head saying, that doesn't look good.

So, need tips..cornering...I learned about the "push right, turn right", "push left, turn left", but sometimes I try that around a corner, and it's like the bike doesn't want to turn, even though I'm looking through the turn to make my shoulders turn. I think it's a lean thing. I think I'm still trying to keep my body upright when I should be leaning through the curve. Also, the gear ratio is pretty low, is it okay to shift while making a left turn from a stop or stop light ??

Anyway, that's about it. I will continue to practice until I'm confident enough in my ability to actually get into traffic, then maybe short runs with my neighbor or good buddy (who got his last weekend, but has driven before). It will probably be a couple months before I actually start riding to work and using it as planned.

So, hi everyone...suggestions are welcome. Everyone says I'm going to want a bigger bike is less than 6 weeks. While that may be true, the reason was gas mileage, LOL !! Thanks in advance !!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
roscosmom

Send a message via Yahoo to roscosmom
Welcome

HI and welcome! I thought about a bigger bike recently, but I really love my GZ. Maybe in time I might trade for a bit bigger....but I won't go crazy! LOL. Maybe a 500-650....nothing bigger than that! I like the gas mileage way too much! Filled it up for 14.00....cant beat that! Planing on riding to and from work as weather permits. Have fun with it and dont rush into buying something bigger until you are really ready! BTW...I'm a newbie myself, but I'm learning a great deal from these guys on this forum! They are really helpful.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: Introduction - As new as you get

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichInFla
My neighbor, who is a Harley rider (since birth probably), is going to take me to a new housing subdivision where the roads are in place but only one house. He says it's nice and curvy, which is what I feel I need to work on.
Welcome. Sounds to me like you have a good plan.

The above "sounds" like a good idea but a caution:
Take a slow "inspection" ride of the roads first. Look for dirt, gravel, sand and debris (nails!).

Once above ~5mph, the bike MUST lean to get the front wheel to turn. Counter-steering just makes the bike lean in the direction you want to turn. If the rider also leans or does a slight weight shift, it turns even better. This comes with practice.

Shifting during a turn: yes, you almost have to with a stock machine.
After you get a little more comfortable with the bike, read up on the 16 tooth front sprocket.
It solves the "high gear ratio" problem........for some people.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Moedad

Welcome Rich!

You took the MSF, so that's the best first step. Sounds like you may be over thinking the turning advice too much maybe, but you're right, leaning is involved. Remember what you learned in the class, but don't over-analyze, and practice-practice-practice in that new one house housing tract. Working with your neighbor might be good as long as he doesn't push you and you don't feel peer pressure to progress too fast. You'll get it soon enough. And don't forget to always wear your protective gear even when practicing. Shifting in a left turn from a stop is fine once you are comfortable with turns and shifting. Like Easy said, you pretty much have to, but remember what they taught you in class. You want smooth throttle during turns. If you shift to 2nd in a turn and pop the clutch you could break traction if the road surface isn't dry/stable, or you might accidently roll on the throttle when the bike jumps and end up swinging wide on your turn or worse. Baby steps. Don't progress to the next step until you're comfortable. There's no rush. Enjoy the process.

BTW, don't say you've never "driven" - say you've never RIDDEN. Which is no longer true.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
davtnn

Stay comfortable ride within your ability .. It will all come together in time Perhaps in a couple of months youll be wanting something bigger BUT I have been up and down the scale and the GZ is about as much fun as any and the mileage is great .. Ya have the right idea .. Practice ..... routine ... and your safety ...

Old 07-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
bigwonton

I also took the MSF class and I feel one of the weaknesses of the class is that they don't talk about countersteering much and the fact that you do have to be moving over a certain speed for it to effectively work. As you start riding you'll be able to better detect that threshold. The GZ is a great bike to learn the basics on. Hang in there, you'll get it!
Old 07-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
Sarris

Greetings

Welcome Brother.

Keep practicing, it'll natural in no time at all.

Good luck and ride safe.

:2tup:
Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Welcome to all the new riders, returning riders and anyone thinking of riding but just lurking here. The best way to start is pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling at your local book store. The author has extensive knowledge for everyone. Most riding schools have their lessons based on his writings and they just plain work. Many 2 wheeled mysteries are explained and will make riding more fun and safer. Best investment I ever made.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
RichInFla

Thanks for the welcome

Unfortunately, here in Florida, we are at the season where it's hot during the morning, then rain all afternoon. I've been itching to take the bike for a little spin in my subdivision (giant cul-de sac) after work, not bad for practicing, but I figure I better get used to driving on dry surfaces before I even tackle wet streets !!

As for MoesDad comment about "riding" versus "driving", I had a really politically "incorrect" instructor at my MSF class. He was a blast and funny, but said "I never understood while they call it "riding", because "driving" assumes you're controlling the bike, where "riding" means the bike is controlling you, and you're just along from the ride depending on what the bike does". I guess that was his way of saying that safe drivers control their bikes, having it do what they want it to do.

In either case, thanks again for allowing me in. And yes, I won't let me neighbor pressure me into going on the interstate just yet.

Thanks for all the responses on shifting during turns. I did that on the way home when I bought the bike, felt okay, rode well, but wasn't sure if it was a good thing to do.

Ah, the progress continues...For those old enough, I hear my instructor saying "you have much to learn, grasshopper !!"
Rich
Old 07-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Sarris

Floriduh

Hey Rich;

If you don't mind my asking, where in Florida are you. Anywhere close to Pasco County? The rain isn't so bad in my area, you can get a good ride as in as long as you leave early and get home before 3:00 pm.