Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
rexolio

Send a message via AIM to rexolio Send a message via Yahoo to rexolio
Newbie in Atlanta, GA

Hi Everyone,

I'm very excited to find an online community for people who ride a GZ250. Oddly enough, I feel much better about buying the bike from seeing so many people here who have them, too.

I'm 34 years old and I've never had a motorcycle before. I first started thinking about getting one with gas prices going through the roof. I researched online and it seemed like the GZ250 was the best choice for a beginner, and one of the better bikes for gas mileage (I read of people getting around 80 mpg... I'm currently getting 67 mpg, but not complaining.) I bought a used 2006 Suzuki GZ250 at WOW Motorcycles in Marietta, GA.

I've had my bike for a couple of months and I'm shocked how much I LOVE it. I can't wait to start it up in the morning to head into work. In fact, I drink a lot less coffee in the mornings! I get to work wide awake and feeling refreshed. At 4 PM I literally run out the door for my ride home. It's a feeling that is hard to explain to those who don't ride. I'm finding more and more reasons to ride it other than just going to work - to the grocery store, over to visit friends, to church... you name it. And my son loves it too.

Today my wife and I are researching safety equipment for my son to ride with me (sissy bars, kids' helmets, safety harnesses, etc.) He starts Pre-K in 1 week, and I'll be dropping him off in the morning because it's only a half mile away from our house. He's so stoked - he's going to be the coolest kid in the class! :rawk:

Excuse me in advance if I ask stupid questions... I have a lot to learn!
Owner of 2006 GZ250 since June 2008 - Yup, I'm a newbie!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
Sarris

Greetings

Welcome brother. You've made an excellent choice in motorcycle and forum. No question is stupid, just do a search of the site and you'll find that most questions have already been beaten to death here, but post if you can't find an answer.

I would suggest that you download the Service and Parts Manuals on the site first. They contain a plethora of valuable information.

I'm 6'-1" and about 295 lbs and I get 72 mpg consistantly (with ethanol it's about 66 mpg), but you shouldn't expect mileage that high until after a thorough break-in (about 6000 miles).

Ride safe and again, welcome.

:chop:
Old 07-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
music man

I am no expert motorcycle rider, only been riding a little over a year myself, but I would not recommend riding a kid on your bike considering your limited seat time, you did say you bought it in june 08, which means by my calculations you have been riding for a month or so. You should not even be thinking about having any passenger on your bike at this stage in your riding experience much less a Pre-Schooler????

So I beg you please to reconsider such actions, for you and your childs sake. I am sure before long you will be getting posts on this subject from people with a lot more riding experience than me telling you the same thing.

Later

P.S. if for some reason I haven't talked you out of this, Please be careful I don't want you or especially your child to get hurt or worse.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
rexolio

Thanks for the info, Sarris. Going to get the parts manual shortly!

music_man - thanks for the caution. Obviously I love my kid and would not, in any way, want to put him in harm's way. Yes, I've only been riding for 2 months - I'm under no illusions that I'm a pro. As I said, the pre-school is barely a half mile from my house on a very, VERY safe road w/ hardly any traffic at that time in the morning. My wife, who is much more leary about me having a bike, isn't phased by it because she knows the road.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
rexolio

music_man - wanted to make sure you knew I appreciate your warning. My reply may have sounded like a took offense to it; I did not. But I do want to let any one else who thinks I'm crazy to know - I'm a VERY responsible Dad who loves his kids VERY much. I'm not going to throw my kid on the back of a bike and go crusing across the state. If it just doesn't seem right for some reason, I won't do it. But the trip is literally around the corner, and I've ridden him in our neighborhood plenty of times. Otherwise, I wouldn't dream of it.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
music man

no no I wasn't implying that you didn't care about your childs safety or anything like that, maybe i came on too strong with that post, and i also wasn't implying that you thought you were a pro. Its just that I think that every motorcycle rider when they first start riding have to fight the whole (get too confident too quick) syndrome, I know I did anyways. I just wanted to make sure that you understood the dangers of what you were thinking about doing thats all.

I have an 8 year old son that I would love to ride with me, and he would probably love it too, but I just want to make sure that I am as experienced as I can be before I take on such a challenge as that.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
rexolio

No, that's a very good point, music_man. I can see how easy it is to get too confident much too soon. Seems like every time I start thinking I've got the bases covered, something happens to remind me to stay on guard, remain cautious and remain watchful of others, too.

I'm going to dress the kid out with helmet, padded jacket, etc. It will take more time getting the stuff on him and then off of him again then it will to drive him from point A to point B.

But I will keep your caution in mind and I will use my better judgement. Thanks for caring enough to reply. :2tup:
Old 07-28-2008, 04:27 AM   #8
cconleyjr

on the subject of riding with a child my girlfriend bugged the piss outta me till i would take her 5 yr old son for a ride so i did took him about a mile and a half and he fell fast asleep just like he does everytime you put him in a car had a hell off a time getting pulled over and called somebody to come get him so if your kid falls asleep in the car he probably will on the bike just a heads up i won't take hers any further than around the block
Old 07-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
rexolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cconleyjr
on the subject of riding with a child my girlfriend bugged the piss outta me till i would take her 5 yr old son for a ride so i did took him about a mile and a half and he fell fast asleep just like he does everytime you put him in a car had a hell off a time getting pulled over and called somebody to come get him so if your kid falls asleep in the car he probably will on the bike just a heads up i won't take hers any further than around the block
LOL, sounds like narcolepsy to me! I hear ya, though - thanks!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
davtnn

I never made the connection between Brahms and a GZ.....