Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 04-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
BillInGA

Re: Howdy y'all

My weekend jaunts usually run about 3 hours and anywhere from 75 to 100 miles.

About a year ago I did a day trip from Kennesaw to Toccoa, GA - about 250 miles round trip. The most challenging part was trying to keep up with traffic on a section of 4-lane that was 65 MPH. With my recent Pilot Screw mod, I'm expecting that won't be a problem. The most valuable lesson I learned from that trip is EARPLUGS!

I'll be making some long day trips to validate the capabilities of both me and the bike.

It is a long trip to be sure - about 1500 miles each way. I've driven it probably a half dozen times in the 15 years since I moved here from Colorado. So I'm pretty familiar with the route. The worst part is western Kansas / eastern Colorado. It seems like it takes forever to see the mountains.

I approach motorcycling like I approach flying: set and follow procedures, don't exceed your personal limitations, and of course the 5 P's - Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

So, for the next several weeks, planning, planning, planning before I commit to making the trip.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
blaine

As you already done the 'pilot jet adjustment you might consider doing the 'needle shim' I found a big difference in pulling power when I done mine. The bike runs very lean from the factory.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
blaine

As you already done the 'pilot jet adjustment you might consider doing the 'needle shim' I found a big difference in pulling power when I done mine. The bike runs very lean from the factory.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #14
blaine

Old 04-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
BillInGA

I was going to do the needle shim first, but the pilot screw seemed to be a much simpler first project. In retrospect, I probably didn't have to completely remove the carb. I could have just rotated it in place after all the hoses and cables were disconnected. Getting it back in was less than trivial. :whistle:

Needle shim is next, then 16T front sprocket. Windshield and cargo rack after that.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
dhgeyer

We're in a similar state, Bill. I'm also planning the longest ride I've ever done for Spring/early Summer. I'll be riding essentially coast to coast, from here in Merrimack, NH to California and back. I'm allocating a month or a bit more. I'll be riding a BMW R1200R, with BMW sidecases and topcase, and a tank bag. Having a lot of cargo space really helps, especially if most of it is lockable. I want to be able to leave the bike unattended while I go for long walks and take pictures, eat meals, and so on.

Anyway, I also am testing capabilities of me and bike, as this bike is new. I've been paying special attention to getting the large windshield set up so that it doesn't buffet my head. I had to make a pair of air deflectors to make it work, but I've got it licked now. The 1200 boxer engines are very smooth at operating RPM's, and of course have no trouble keeping up with traffic. The weak link is me, and I have to know how much I can push a day. I did a trip a little over a week ago to Buffalo and back. I went out in one day, 433 miles (60 miles winding mountain 2 lane, 273 miles of superslab, and the rest relatively easy federal 2 lane). I did that on 2.5 hours of sleep! I came back over the next two days on all federal 2 lane, and much more sleep. I can do it, but I wouldn't do the equivalent of that first day for several days running. That would be way beyond my limit. It adds up over days, and one thing that should be in our planning (yours and mine) is a rest day every few days, with limited riding, some walking, and a lot of rest. Veteran tourers will generally tell you that.

If you haven't already, check out some of the motorcycle touring websites and books. There's a lot of information out there.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #17
blaine

Needle shim can be done by turning carb to one side,but I found it just as quick and easy to take carb off. Maybe do main jet at same time. I used a 130 jet.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #18
mrlmd1

I had the Slipsteamer SS28 windshield/sport fairing on my bike, there's pics of it on here, and I liked it very much. It's 15" tall, nicely covers the grips, has a 4 point mounting system so it's very solid and doesn't vibrate, and did a good job of blocking the wind with no wind coming up underneath hitting your neck and chin like with some other shields. I think that's a real good choice. I wish I kept it to mount on my S50 - it was much better than the 18" Malibu windshield/fairing I have on the S50 now.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
I think it looks a lot like your Santa Cruz - maybe a bit shorter, though.
I think you'll be OK with that one. My problem is that the bottom skirts are too long. When I have the shield angle where I like it the best, I get an inrush of air from the bottom. I now have the shield standing almost straight up and it's better.......but I don't think that angle would have worked out at ALL on the GZ; too much wind resistance.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #20
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
Needle shim is next, then 16T front sprocket.
I hate to say this but I think you have some conflicting plans.

A BIG sheild and the 16T sprocket don't go well together.
Neither does the 16T and keeping up with 65 MPH "interstate" traffic.

Changing the sprocket is fairly easy and inexpensive but I think we can probably save you the trouble. Too bad to 'cause I really liked it that way......but I NEVER ventured on a heavily travelled Interstate (or similar).