Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #1
tondi

Improving Headlight

As most of the cruisers and standard bikes, the GZ has (IMO) poor lighting.
I was thinking in doing an upgrade of light bulb and I would like to check the options with you.

1- PIAA light. The claim to be something like twice as powerful than the original halogen H4, and, just a simple replacement without special installation.
Cons: VERY expensive and crappy life spam life spam of 1 + years (deal breaker)

2- LED retrofit H4, and there are 3 options for this one:
2A- An H4 light bulb with external driver (crappy black box beside)
2B- An H4 light bulb with internal driver and fan + aluminum radiator
2C- An H4 light bulb with internal driver without any heat control

LED Light also claim to be twice as powerful than the original one + Infinite life spam (in theory) + 1/10 of energy consumption + cheaper than PIAA

I will go with option 2C, but seams too good to be true, and options 2A and 2B will require special installation.

So... which one ??

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
bachelorb

I'm not sure, but I just wanted to say thanks for getting me to think about this. I think an LED headlight is about to go on my list of "wants"
Old 09-16-2018, 01:24 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

After messing with various lights for a few decade I can honestly say a proper LED auxiliary light or 2 would be my best choice in the future. I presently have 2 LED driving lights on the Honda but they are overkill when pulling a maximum of 70 watts. 20 watts would likely be more than adequate in most cases after dark.

The GZ can easily support a 20 watt load for a couple 10 watt LED driving lights.

A word of caution for those thinking of really bright LED's on any vehicle. The light reflected back from road signs can and will blind you in many cases. Luckily my LED's can vary the power draw so I no longer go half blind with large overhead road signs.

Always use bright lights with discretion and don't blind others.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:33 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tondi View Post
As most of the cruisers and standard bikes, the GZ has (IMO) poor lighting.
I was thinking in doing an upgrade of light bulb and I would like to check the options with you.

1- PIAA light. The claim to be something like twice as powerful than the original halogen H4, and, just a simple replacement without special installation.
Cons: VERY expensive and crappy life spam life spam of 1 + years (deal breaker)

2- LED retrofit H4, and there are 3 options for this one:
2A- An H4 light bulb with external driver (crappy black box beside)
2B- An H4 light bulb with internal driver and fan + aluminum radiator
2C- An H4 light bulb with internal driver without any heat control

LED Light also claim to be twice as powerful than the original one + Infinite life spam (in theory) + 1/10 of energy consumption + cheaper than PIAA

I will go with option 2C, but seams too good to be true, and options 2A and 2B will require special installation.

So... which one ??
From what I have read on other forums I would shy away from a retro-led. The LED itself is a fit-all and not designed for a specific light reflector/housing. You may or may not get better proper lighting and only accomplish annoying oncoming traffic.
Two smaller load LED driving lights will give you good lighting and mounted on the forks they will give oncoming traffic a triangle of light to see.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
tondi

I already thought about this and I'm not sure it would be a good idea.

First, it would be way more expensive than just changing the light bulb, and second, modifying your electrical system will always put more stress on it, so, you may expect shorter life spam of your battery, stator, rectifier, etc

Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #6
b1pig

Improving Headlight

I put a Sylvania Silver Star bulb on my wife’s GZ. Plenty of light. The reflector is designed for a halogen bulb. Using any other type of bulb whether LED, HID or other, you’re taking a hit/miss chance on light quality. It will likely be very bright, but if the reflector can’t pattern the light properly it’s worthless except for blinding oncoming traffic.

Add-on lighting would be a better option in my opinion. Fewer risks and headaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk