Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
anubis19ak

New to me bike with some issues

Hey everyone,

I just started riding about a month ago and I'm loving it so far! I bought a 2000 GZ250 from a friend that had it for 9 years. She hadn't ridden it for about 2 years so it was just sitting in her garage. A friend and I got it started and I brought it home and over the last month I've discovered some issues and questions that I was hoping to get some help with.

The tank was almost empty so we just added gas to the tank to get it going. My friend had to put his hand over the air inlet to create a vacuum and the bike fired up eventually. The oil is clean and recently changed and I haven't seen a single leak under the bike after it's been sitting. Other than that, the only thing we really had to do was put a new battery in it.

1) When I first start the engine, I have to have the choke on. Even after a few minutes, if I turn the choke off, the bike idles way low like it wants to die. About halfway through my 20 minute commute, I can turn it off. My idle speed is currently set about halfway, if that matters. Any thoughts on how to fix that?

2) All of the lights in the speedometer are dead, so I can't see how fast I'm going at night when I ride on a dark stretch of road. The highbeam indicator light still comes on when I activate them, however the rest of the speedo is dark. My big question here is regarding bulbs. Where can I find bulbs for this, preferably something that will be somewhat bright.

3) I'm 6'0 and around 250, so I'd like to stiffen the suspension to its highest setting (it's currently on 4). Whenever I've tried though, I feel like I'm just going to bend the tool I'm using to try and rotate the adjustment. Is it possible that it's just gunked up from sitting so long? What can I use to make that easier?

4) When I pull the front brake lever, the brake light comes on, however the light does not come on when I press the rear brake pedal. The taillight comes on just fine when I start the bike, but the light just doesn't get brighter when only the rear brake pedal is pressed. Is this normal or is there a fault somewhere?

5) When I pull the clutch in to shift, the bike revs up and I've made sure that I'm not giving the bike any throttle. I'm not sure if this is bad for the bike or not, but just something happening when I wouldn't expect it to happen.

6) When the handlebars are full lock left or right, the engine revs. I had my wife sit on the bike and alternate between full left and full right and I couldn't see the throttle moving at all. It's a little disconcerting when I'm just trying to get the bike turned around so I can park it.

7) The turn signal indicator light appears to be burned out as it doesn't come on regardless of which signal is flashing. Where can I find a bulb for it and how in the world do I get the old bulb out? I didn't mess with it too much as I didn't want to damage the rubber housing. Any tips or tricks on that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any assistance any of you can give me!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by anubis19ak; 10-07-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

Congrats on your new to you GZ 250. Glad you are enjoying it. Ride safe.

Before anything else, I recommend you download the parts manual and service manual on this site. Use the Quick Links and Search tools at the top of the page. The more you learn how to work on your own bike, the more money you will save.
1) After letting the bike warm up for about 2 minutes, turn off the choke and use the white idle adjustment thumb screw on the left side of the bike to make your adjustment to around 1500 rpm (you can do it by ear).
2) You can get replacement bulbs for the speedo at most cycle shops. They run about $2.50 to $3.00 a piece. Honda bulbs will also work.
3) Should just need a medium sized screwdriver to adjust your shocks. I have never had to mess with them. Just follow directions in manual.
4) Check your brake light switch under the right rear passenger foot peg for continuity.
5) ?
6) Check where the throttle cable is attached in the same area the throttle adjustment screw is located and make sure your cable end is secured to the bracket that holds it in place. Also check it below the throttle cable housing below the handlebar to make sure it is secure.
7) Check the manual on this one. I would think you would remove it from the top, but don't quote me.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #3
blaine

Just to elaborate on #3 if you take the weight off the back wheel it makes adjusting the shocks easier.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:32 AM   #4
alantf

1) when the engine is HOT, use the white knob under the carb to set the idle to 1200-1400 rpm.
4) Halfway between the brake pedal and the back wheel, you'll find an adjuster in the cable. it may need screwing in or out until the brake light comes on when the pedal is pressed.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

There are more adjustments you can make if needed. You can raise or lower the rear brake pedal to suit your foot comfort and ease of operation. Be sure to check that the rear brake light works after the adjustment too.

You can also adjust the shifter height for your foot. There is a linkage/rod that is adjustable down by your left foot. While you are at it you can give a shot of lube under the rubber booties of the linkage. Chain lube works nicely and you know you will have some available.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
anubis19ak

I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone that has responded so far. I haven't had a chance to go out and tinker with it yet, but I hope to tomorrow.

I also wanted to clarify regarding the turn signal indicator bulb. I've pulled the green lens off so that I can remove the rubber housing, my question is how to actually get the bulb itself out as it is sunken down a good inch and a half into the rubber housing. Does anyone have any easy tips on this?
Old 10-24-2018, 12:28 AM   #7
gzgeezer

5 and 6
Sounds like cable adjustment, if the throttle cables are too tight it will cause these things. There needs to be a little slack in in the throttle cables and clutch cable. Adjust both throttle cables at the carb, one cable opens the throttle and the other ensures the throttle closes when you release the grip. Clutch adjustment at both the lever and engine case. Download the manual, these bikes are super easy to wrench on and the manual explains stuff clearly
The rubber boot just pulls off the back of the green lens, it actually holds the lens in. Feel for the base of the bulb thru the boot and squeeze gently to try and work the bulb out. If you have small diameter hose (like fuel line) you can try to use that to fit inside the boot and grip over the bulb....something I would try
Old 04-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
anubis19ak

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the long absence but the weather here hasn't been conducive to tinkering in a cold garage. I just wanted to give everyone some updates on what I've been experiencing.

1) I still have to have the choke on for a while before I can turn it off. Lately I've been chalking that up to the fact the bike has been sitting for 4-6 weeks on average between rides. Other than that, I still don't know where to look to fix this.

2) I fixed the speedometer light. I was able to go to Autozone (here in the States) and find the bulb just by taking the old one in and comparing them until I found the right one. I'd still like to put a brighter LED bulb in there, but this is fixed for now.

3) I haven't messed with the suspension at all yet. I'm thinking I need to jack the bike up to take all the weight off the rear wheel and hit the strut with some WD40 before trying to stiffen the suspension. Does anyone have any other tips they've learned with that?

4) As suggested in this thread, I just needed to tighten the rear brake cable so that it trips the switch when I hit the rear brake. This is working beautifully now.

5) This still seems to happen, usually when I am pulling the clutch in to come to a stop at a light. I'm wondering if this has something with the idle speed. Perhaps mine is set a bit too low. A lot of people have said that you can adjust the idle speed by ear, but I'll be honest, I have no idea what this bike should sound like at 1300rpms. Any tips?

6) The bike revving when the handlebars go full lock in either direction does still happen, but I only notice it when I'm trying to turn around in a tight driveway. When that happens, I usually have the clutch pulled in so it hasn't proven to be an issue. I double-checked to make sure the throttle wasn't pulling, and it's not. Someone suggested it could be the clutch or choke cable, I haven't had a chance to look at that yet.

7) I was able to get the turn signal indicator bulb out easily using a boba straw from Ikea, at least I think that's what it was. I just slid it down into the housing and over the bulb, then applied a tiny amount of sideways pressure and the bulb came right out. I was able to find a replacement at Autozone, again by just comparing bulbs until I found one that would work.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone, I really appreciate it!