Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #21
Menachem

Hey all, I'm new here, and a new rider. I have a beautiful new (used) 2005 gz250. I think I have the same question as some others...

How long does it normally take for the engine to heat up? It seems like it takes about 20 minutes from cold start, unless I jam up the choke, which I don't want to. I feel like sitting and idling for 15-20 minutes is bothering my neighbors lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-01-2018, 05:24 AM   #22
Water Warrior 2

You should be using the choke(enrichener) to start the bike from a cold condition. Give it a couple minutes of fast idle to get the juices flowing and lightly touch the engine fins. If they are warm then just ride off with partial choke for a short while and then you are done. Two minutes of fast idle gives you time to do a safety check. All lights, brake lights with hand lever and foot lever, horn, signals, a quick glance at the chain and tires too. Then get your gear on and ride. I normally am dressed except for my helmet before firing up the bike.
And yes I am a bit of a safety nut. I can't and won't ride without a full compliment of riding gear. It is a bit of a pain now and again but I don't plan on suffering badly from even a little mishap that may occur.
I will now tell you what I tell all new riders. Get a copy of Proficient Motorcycling written by David Hough. It is the best and cheapest life insurance you can buy. A long dry read but packed with all the good stuff to stay safe on the streets.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:49 AM   #23
alantf

My handbook (Spanish) says to leave the choke on for 30 seconds, but I know that American bikes are set up leaner than the European ones, so it may take longer.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
My handbook (Spanish) says to leave the choke on for 30 seconds, but I know that American bikes are set up leaner than the European ones, so it may take longer.
Canadian bikes are the same as European set-ups. However it all boils down to a crap shoot in the end. To many variables to make a set rule.
Is the bike outside in the sunshine and warmed up that way or parked underground and cooler? Likely every rider might have a slightly different circumstance and time will determine the best first start of the day. All part of the learning process.