Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 09-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #11
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
Re: learner's permit

In Florida (as of 7-1-08) you can get a permit with only the written test (you don't really need one though), but the only way to get a license is to take the MSF class. Once you complete the class they submit the info to the DMV. All you have to do is go there, and hand them a card that the MSF class gave you along with $15 for a new picture and to have the new license printed.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-09-2008, 12:47 AM   #12
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
a lot of motorcycle enthusiasts started on dirt bikes as kids and many either rode unlicensed for years (or are still riding unlicensed.)
:whistle:
Old 09-09-2008, 01:53 AM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Busted!

(best use of the whistlin' eye roll I've seen in a while...)

Some of us attract the authorities like flies on, well..., I guess that would make me the stinky part, but you know what I mean. I have to pay my taxes, mow my lawn regular-like and be civil to the nice officers, two of whom paid me a visit just last night. So riding without the proper credentials is not an option for me. A rebel in my own mind.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
Jenny

The MSF class in my area (way way way upstate NY) allowed you to take the class without a permit, but you could only use the class to waive your road test if you showed up with a learner's permit. I brought my learner's permit to the class, passed the riding test three days later, and then waited a couple weeks for the paperwork to get to my house so that I could go back to the DMV and get my license.

The learner's permit is a joke here. All you need to get a motorcycle learner's permit is take a very dumb written test. Most of the questions were about why it's bad to drink and drive and only one of the twenty questions was specific to motorcycles!

Once you have a learner's permit, you can go on the roads in NY. There is one restriction that I know of - you have to be supervised by a licensed rider who needs to be within 1/4 mile of you. The supervision can be done while the person is stationary (standing on the sidewalk watching you ride up and down the block or around a parking lot over and over and over), while the person is riding near you on their motorcycle, or while the person follows you in a car. The supervision part is key - they don't need to just be within 1/4 mile of you but somehow actively participating in the experience (so you can't ride up and down the block with your partner inside the house washing dishes near the window).
Old 09-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
Joho

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2kdave
The guy at the DMV made sure to tell me not to go driving into SC, because they won't honor our permit. I guess either they don't have learner's permits, or they just don't like ours. :roll:

REALLY? That's odd. Because here in SC, they issue permits after a written test. You can even drive a car on a motorcycle permit, except at nights. The only restrictions on riding motorcycles is that you cant ride after 6pm/8pm DST, unless "supervised by parent/guardian over 21". Also, any permit holder is required to hold a permit for 120 days before they can apply for their license.

That's technically unconstitutional... i remember hearing about it last year in a Intro to US Government. A quick search on google: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Agreement

Legally, states MUST honor all licenses issued within the states and territories... it seems logical that it would apply to permits as well.

Oh South Cacky Lacky, get with the times.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joho
Legally, states MUST honor all licenses issued within the states and territories... it seems logical that it would apply to permits as well.
There is no requirement for logic when dealing with the law. Or to put it another way, if you try to apply logic to the law, you will often be wrong.......as in this case. :biggrin:

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that the statute you are referring to is NOT a part of the constitution !! :roll:
Old 09-18-2008, 12:22 PM   #17
Joho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joho
There is no requirement for logic when dealing with the law. Or to put it another way, if you try to apply logic to the law, you will often be wrong.......as in this case. :biggrin:

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that the statute you are referring to is NOT a part of the constitution !! :roll:
Welcome to America. Ugh.

But there is a clause stating that citizens of one state must be priveledged accordingly in other states.

Pardon me while I kiss Uncle Sam's ring.