Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 11-10-2008, 01:52 AM   #1
John B

GZ250 versus a VS650 for a fairly tall person?

In August I bought a used 2001 GZ250 with only 1500 miles on it and recently joined this forum. I really enjoy the GZ, but sometime get thigh cramps. I am about 6'2" tall.

A neighbor of mine who is a bike fanatic (and rides dirtbikes, dual bikes and street bikes and also races at Thunder Hill Race Track and Infineon in California) told me that he thought that a Suzuki SV650 would be a better fit for me..

Is anyone familiar with the SV650 or have any comments on why it might be preferred by a tall person over the GZ?

I bet that there are riders on this forum taller than I am riding the GZ250 and loving it.

John B

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Sarris

Re: GZ250 versus a VS650 for a fairly tall person?

I'm 6'1, 280 lbs, 30" inseam, and I have no problems at all. You may want to investigate handlebar riser blocks and maybe angle the bars a bit farther forward. There are many available aftermarket expanded/emlarged pegs or even floorboards to allow you a slightly different foot position. Then, there are gel and/or air pads to raise your seating position slightly. The SV is gonna be a larger bike, but you have to decide whether you want a cruiser upright riding position, or a lean over sportbike riding position.

If you haven't been riding too long, be aware that Newbies have a tendancy to gorilla grip the shit out of the bike as well. This can lead to unnecessary tenseness and cramping hands, legs, etc. You might try riding with a more relaxed posture and grip.

I have an HD Streetglide for longer trips, but I ride the GeeZer 20 to 30 miles a day. I love my GZ.

:2tup:
Old 11-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B
In August I bought a used 2001 GZ250 with only 1500 miles on it and recently joined this forum. I really enjoy the GZ, but sometime get thigh cramps. I am about 6'2" tall.
Is it because of restricted leg room? Not much you can adjust there but you can rest your ankles on TOP of the pegs while crusing, if you wear boots, and get a little stretch without stopping. You also can rotate the bars forward for a little more arm room. I hook my heels on the passenger pegs for a change of seating position but that is probably not practical for long legs; might even make it worse.

Bikes in the "just a bit bigger" category include two other Zuki's: S40/LS650 and S50/VS800.
Both are kind of sport cruisers.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Just about ANY 650 and up cc bike would be 'better' if you are having trouble sitting on the GZ. The SV650, Boulevards, Shadows, VStar's ..... will all fit you better than the GZ. Its a matter of preference. If its that bad, go to a few dealers and sit on em. Thats the only way to tell.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 11-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

Sarris, there are actually two different versions of the SV650. The SV650F has the lower handle bars for a more sportier seating position, but the standard SV650 has an upright seating position, probably much like the GZ (or at most slightly forward).

Easy, just out of curiosity, how do you reckon the S40 is a "sport" cruiser? I wasn't aware that there was anything "sporty" about it.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
Easy, just out of curiosity, how do you reckon the S40 is a "sport" cruiser? I wasn't aware that there was anything "sporty" about it.
You're right, there really wasn't.......until they started putting drag bars on them.
I refuse to call anything with drag bars a "cruiser". :shocked:

The other consideration is that it is not "bloated" like a lot of cruisers. Slim, light and without a lot of chrome or other fancy stuff. The only thing that really qualifies it as a cruiser is the forward pegs.......and the buckhorn bars for the models that had them.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
So what would you call mine? :skeptical:

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 11-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
So what would you call mine? :skeptical:
Mmmmm......aaaaaa.....sure, NICE BIKE !! :roll: :whistle: :biggrin:

With both legs and arms forward, I'd expect a cramp in the back region somewhere.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
Just about ANY 650 and up cc bike would be 'better' if you are having trouble sitting on the GZ. The SV650, Boulevards, Shadows, VStar's ..... will all fit you better than the GZ. Its a matter of preference. If its that bad, go to a few dealers and sit on em. Thats the only way to tell.
What Dupo said. Plus, just for giggles sit on a VStrom 650/1000. More upright might be the answer for you. Lots of room to move around and added highway pegs make for a nice change of position. There are also 2 optional seats for the 650 that are a bit higher/wider/firmer............more leg room amd comfort. The 650 will cruise with the best of them.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
John B

I'm sure glad I found this forum. The members of this forum have a wealth of information.

I'm going to try some of the many suggestions and stick with the GZ which is really fun to ride. If is works for Sarris, who is about the same height as I am, is should work for me. The more I ride it, the more relaxed I am, and the better the ride. Thanks for the info.

John B