Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
rexolio

Send a message via AIM to rexolio Send a message via Yahoo to rexolio
Thanks, Water Warrior! I'll take a look at the manual!
Owner of 2006 GZ250 since June 2008 - Yup, I'm a newbie!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-28-2008, 12:08 AM   #12
Doug577

Send a message via AIM to Doug577 Send a message via Yahoo to Doug577
Re: Great advice for a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexolio
Guys,

The one thing that's a challenge for me is getting used to using the back brake. I depend mostly on the front.
In the basic rider course they teach you to use both brakes at every stop. That way you get into the routine of using both, and if you need to stop in an emergency you will have maximum braking power from your bike. I often feel like my back brake isn't really doing a whole lot, but I use it every time. (also good for holding the bike on a hill when starting off)
Old 07-28-2008, 02:39 AM   #13
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug577
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexolio
Guys,

The one thing that's a challenge for me is getting used to using the back brake. I depend mostly on the front.
In the basic rider course they teach you to use both brakes at every stop. That way you get into the routine of using both, and if you need to stop in an emergency you will have maximum braking power from your bike. I often feel like my back brake isn't really doing a whole lot, but I use it every time. (also good for holding the bike on a hill when starting off)
For shits and giggles, try using just the back brake to stop (when you're not in traffic, of course); it does almost nothing. I also use it every time, but you can tell that it really doesn't provide much stopping power.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #14
rexolio

Send a message via AIM to rexolio Send a message via Yahoo to rexolio
Doug577 and Orpheus,

That was my impression of the rear brake - that it doesn't seem to do a whole lot, which is why I haven't been using it that much. I do use it on a hill sometimes when I'm stopped and need to get going without rolling backwards.

As many of you have suggested, I'll start using both. I can see that it's a good habit to get into.
Owner of 2006 GZ250 since June 2008 - Yup, I'm a newbie!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #15
cconleyjr

I use my rear brake alot if I don't plan on coming to a complete stop it is usually the only brake I use but I generally keep my hand on the front brake just in case i need to pull it.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #16
Sarris

Front Brake

Everyone should know that 65% of your braking should be from your front brake w/ 35% from the rear. This will give you the very shortest and controlled stop. Just check your rear view mirror as the cage behind you mat not be able to stop as fast as you.

While I'm spewing crap this morning, I'll tell you a true story. I have a friend who is very compulsive about checking his rear view mirror while stopped. He was on his HD at a light behind a cage boxed in on three sides and checked his rear view mirror. He saw a woman in a minivan on her cell phone hauling ass up behind him and he thought to himself "It doesn't look like she's gonna stop, but maybe I'm being paranoid". But he decided to put the bike on the side stand and get off. He calmly walked between the cars on his right to the shoulder. The minivan the hit his bike at 40 mph and crashed it into the trunk of the cage that was in front of him, totalling the bike and injuring four people in the two cages. The moral of the story is check your mirrors and trust your instincts. Both could save your ass.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
[
For shits and giggles, try using just the back brake to stop (when you're not in traffic, of course); it does almost nothing. I also use it every time, but you can tell that it really doesn't provide much stopping power.
I think someone said this before so I won't dwell on it.................
Compared to the front brake, the rear feels a lot different, which would lead you to think "it does almost nothing".
Semantics aside, it you really feel that the back brake is virtually useless, then one of two things is likely:
1) The rear mechanism needs adjustment (for some this makes a BIG difference)
or
2) You need to practice using the rear more (off street). Just for S&G, pretend that the front is broken and the back is all youu have.
The back brake is not useless.