Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Check with the locals...

...for the CA tests we were allowed to remain in first gear for "the box", but the quick stop and swerve, we had to get into second. For the quick stop it was points off if you weren't in second when you started the stop and also if you weren't back in first when you finished.

IMO the swerve and the quick stop ARE very easy. The only element of the test that presented any difficulty was "the box."

Try this for making the "quick stop" practice less boring:

Set up the two cones as descibed. From the point of the cones use chalk to mark off feet on a line leading away. If you have two colors, mark every five feet with a different color. Discpline your self to not touch the brakes until the front wheel hits the cones. Consistently hit 15 or 17 miles and hour on the approach (again, check your rules.)

Then see how short you can make the stop. Always use both brakes. Make sure the bike is in a straight line. After some practice, you should be able to do a controlled skid (I was able to lay rubber on nearly all of my stops.) Being able to do this as second nature, without thinking, may save your ass someday. It's worth the practice.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
Jer

"The Box"

The box you have to stop with your front wheel in?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #13
alanmcorcoran

The "box" is a...

...rectangle, about 15 X 40 ft (not really sure of exact dimensions) You enter it at a two cone gate at the far right of the short side, riding parallel to, but inside, the long side. At about 3/4 of the way in, you turn to the left and execute a U-turn inside the far end of the box. Immediately following the first U turn, you continue, crossing back over to the original side (but now coming back in the opposite direction) and then execute a second u-turn and then head out of the box through a second cone gate on the opposite side you entered (parallel to the left side). Basically you ride into the rectangle then execute most of a figure eight, and then ride out. The challenge is that it is kind of narrow so you have to do two linked tight turns in a short radius.

I've read many descriptions of this from people all over the country, but it may not be part of IA's test. I does seem to be part of MSF's training. It was the only part of the test that people consistently had trouble with. I managed to do it for the test, but I'd blown it three times prior. Key is to look over your shoulder in the direction you are turning (behind you), and not at the box lines. It also helps if you do it on a small bike. Speed control is also key. You want to initiate the turn almost at a slow coast, but give it a little bit of throttle midway to maintain centrifugal force.

I found as long as I did the looking, the rest came naturally. I didn't practice at all prior to the day of the test as I was unaware of the exercise. I had about 4 or 5 shots at it as part of the MSF class before I was tested it on it. Think I got it right only once in practice. Good luck. Don't worry if you go over the line, or even if you put your foot down, you can still pass. Just don't drop the bike.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Jer

Yeah I dont think we have that one. Just the ones in the link I posted in the first message. Those are the ones in the back of the IA Manual.

They better not pull any surprises!!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
Moedad

For me, the U-turn box exercises were accomplished more easily while in 2nd gear. It smoothed out any jerkiness if my clutch control was lacking. YMMV.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #16
alanmcorcoran

I looked at your listing....

The "right hand" U turn is the eqivalent to "the box". It just doesn't have the left U turn at the beginning. (So, in a way it's easier, but you still have ot be able to do ONE tight U-turn.

Be aware that I took this test as part of the MSF Basic Rider course, so it might be a variation in common use.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #17
Jer

I see.

Right u-turns are a bit harder for me but I'm able to do both inside of that 20' line pretty consistantly.

One I'm not real clear on is the little 5'x3' box you have to stop with your tire inside of.

If that a standalone thing? Is there a speed requirement? It seems far to easy to say "there is the box. Go stop with your front wheel in it."
Old 08-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #18
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
One I'm not real clear on is the little 5'x3' box you have to stop with your tire inside of.
We (Alan and I and others who took the course where we took it) didn't have to stop a wheel in a box, we had to stop it at a line. Unless I just blacked out the box from my memory because it was so hideously difficult.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #19
Jer

I went and watched 3 people do the riding test this morning.

It wont be a problem for me.

I practiced another 5 miles worth tonight and will do the same at least 2 more times this coming week.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #20
Jer

Tomorrow is the day!

Gonna have a budyy ride my bike up to the DMV tonight for me.

I'll take my car up in the morning bright and early and practice a bit on the course before they open.