Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 09-17-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Jer

Wet Pavement / Rain

As a newbie and having read a bit in books I am of course scared to death to cross any wet pavement.

I'm sure my fears are warranted some, but if I maintain speed and keep going straight, am I safe crossing wet patches of pavement?

Bikes don't just fly sideways of fall over from a straight even line do they?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
music man

Re: Wet Pavement / Rain

I personally have rode my GZ in the rain several times, and it seems to handle pretty well, the thing I watch for the most is when it is really hot outside and just showers for a little bit and quits, makes for nice oily slick pavement. But as far as hydroplaning, i haven't experienced any of that yet, And also when it is raining i slow down my normal speed quite a bit, for the rain on the road, and also because obviously I can't see as good with all the water on my face shield, which is still not as bad as when I used to ride with a half-helmet and just got it right in my face, OUCH!

So I think as long as you stay cautious and you are already pretty experienced and confident on dry pavement you should be O.K.. I would say that someone that has never rode in the rain should treat the experience just like when they first started riding period, slowly and catiously.

later
Old 09-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Rule #1

Wait 10 minutes AFTER it starts raining to ride. If you are on the road, pull over and wait 10 minutes then continue.

As it starts to rain, all the oil, grease, contaminants from vehicles slicks the road surface. Ever notice when it rains quickly that there is a rainbow effect on the road? That stuff makes for a very slick surface for us 2 wheelers. Its a general rule of thumb to give the rains 10 minutes to wash all that crap off the road before venturing/continuing on your way.

Heres a few great articles on riding in the rain:

http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=199&Set=
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=204&Set=
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=035&Set=

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 09-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Sarris

:plus1: to MM's and Dupo's comments, with a couple additions. Avoid the center part of the lane like the plague. That's where all the oil and crap from cars accumulate. So drive in either the left or right tire rut. Also, be very cautious of the lines and arrows in the road. In some states, they're a reflective vinyl and can be very slick. Use the same prudent driving techniques as driving in a car. SLOW DOWN, brake gently, reduce your following distance, and reduce your lean angle in turns. First and foremost, don't panic. Relax and don't tense up or you'll gorilla grip the bike and start driving in a choppy manner. Bike tires with good tread have amazingly good grip in the rain. So as long as you take it easy, you should have no problems.

:skull:
Old 09-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
Jer

I've read those tips as well.

Good stuff.

Thanks!

For small patches of wet pavement. Like water running into the street from a nearby car wash or something, just roll on thru it in a straight manner?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Sarris

Yep :biggrin:
Old 09-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
For small patches of wet pavement. Like water running into the street from a nearby car wash or something, just roll on thru it in a straight manner?
Yes. It never hurts to slow down a bit.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
Jer

Sure.

But doesnt that remove some traction? So you dont want to slow by much.

Does engine braking cause LESS traction loss vs using the brakes?
Old 09-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #9
Sarris

You loose some adhesion when the tire has water between it and the pavement, but traction is effected by hard braking and fast acceleration/deceleration. Just slowly releasing the throttle and lightly braking, done properly, shouldn't effect your traction. You'll feel it in your ass when/if the tire gets loose.

:biggrin:
Old 09-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
But doesnt that remove some traction? So you dont want to slow by much.

Does engine braking cause LESS traction loss vs using the brakes?
The ideal situation is to slow down BEFORE you get to the hazzard and then crack the throttle just enough that both wheels are "free wheeling" when you cross the slick spot. I think you're being a little paranoid here though. Simple water is usually NOT a real hazzard, if you are riding like you have half a brain.

And yes, engine braking is usually preferred because, in general, it is less abrupt and affects only the back wheel. Locking/sliding the front will take you down MUCH faster.