Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 09-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
dreamers-62

Send a message via MSN to dreamers-62
Windshields and wind

I was out riding the other day and it was pretty windy...not gale force or anything but enough that I got buffeted around a little, which being new at this was a little unnerving as the bike seemed to be steering itself at some points. The person I was with had a Suzuki S40 and no windshield and said they didnt feel the effect of the wind and that it was my windshield. Do windshields make that much of a difference? I think their bike is only about 50 lbs heavier than mine. I was thinking I might try taking the windshield off and seeing if it made much of a difference...thoughts anyone? :skeptical:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Windshields and wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamers-62
I was thinking I might try taking the windshield off and seeing if it made much of a difference...thoughts anyone? :skeptical:

If you've never ridden without a shield, I think you should do that......so you will have a real appreciation for why you need one. Some people wouldn't have a shield; I wouldn't be without one.

In my experience, a shield reduces the bouncing around from cross winds but it does make it more noisy sometimes, such that you might think you are being buffeted more than you really are.

It does depend some on the direction of the wind. A cross-headwind might have more impact on a shield.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Take the shield off and try it that way. You will or will not like it. From my limited personal experience every rider, helmet shape, windshield height, width, bike size/shape/speed and rider size will net different results. It is really a crap shoot that every rider has to go through for best personal results. Wind noise is best handled with hearing protection. A good windshield is a priority if you ride in rain or through a swarm of bugs.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
dreamers-62

Thanks for the thoughts...I hadnt really noticed the noise (maybe couldnt hear the noise above my singing, its amazing how good a full face helmet makes you sound) thinking that I might just as well leave it on a learn to deal with the wind. One thing I did learn was the tighter (death grip ) I held on the worse it got...but if I relaxed my grip it seemed to shake around less....
Old 09-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

I think the full face helmet has a (positive) effect on wind, not too mention The Things That Come Along With It. Keep in mind that the forum is split about half and half between full helmet wearers and those that wear something else. I suspect the half or no helmet folks may find the windshield to be more essential.

(BTW I, too have noticed how great I sound when muttering to myself inside the bean bubble. Haven't tried singing yet, I'll give it a whirl when I think I'm out of range for the sanity police.)

I think there is huge difference in the experience of wind in general with the full face helmet on vs not. Also, I have a heavy armored jacket, and that also provides a certain degree of wind buffering for the arms and chest. I have found myself a lttle vulnerable in the Adam's apple area. Been hit there by a few good size bugs and some other stuff and I've wondered what would happen if I caught a bee or worse.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

I noticed in your pic that your windshield is very short. That could increase the wind feeling you are getting as the wind whips over the shield and right into your chest/face.

You will feel the wind knocking you around with a shield. I had one on the GZ and felt it too.

(edited for content)

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
I noticed in your pic that your windshield is very short. That could increase the wind feeling you are getting as the wind whips over the shield and right into your chest/face.

You will feel the wind knocking you around with a shield.
Yes, certainly with a short one.

I never could figure out what the point is in putting a short shield on a cruiser.
Seem to me like it makes matters worse.....unless you can lay down behind it......which is kind of tough with forward pegs and a seat and tank not designed for it.

So my opinion is get one that comes up at least to your nose level or forget it.

Mine is now about eyebrow level and with one more slight angle adjustment, I think I'll have it just right. No buffeting, no helmet roar, no debris sneaking over the top of the shield to get you in the face (helmet not required here) and enough air comes in around the headlight to prevent a vacuume effect. Makes for a MUCH more enjoyable ride, in my opinion.

And a little background: This isn't a decision I have come to lightly. Over about 20 years and maybe 8 different styles of shields, I settled on a large sport styled shield back about 15 years ago on a Honda 550 Nighthawk. The three bikes I've had since then all came with smaller shields that I ended up junking and getting a larger one every time.

Some people actually like no shield and some seem to like a small one but I suspect that quite a few just learn to deal with what they have and don't really understand the difference. There is a practical reason that all the "real" touring bikes come with a tall and wide shield.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
dreamers-62

[quote="alanmcorcoran"](BTW I, too have noticed how great I sound when muttering to myself inside the bean bubble. Haven't tried singing yet, I'll give it a whirl when I think I'm out of range for the sanity police.)

I wonder if people on the side of the road can actually hear me singing!! it must be kind of like singing with your headphones on :rawk:
Old 09-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
dreamers-62

Quote:

You will feel the wind knocking you around with a shield. I had one on the GZ and felt it too. BUT ... the feeling goes away with seat time. It WILL become second nature and you wont think twice about it.

I remember my first few months of riding the GZ. Same concerns as most of you have. I can say safely that its a 'new' feeling you've not experienced before and you DO get used to it rather quickly.

It comes natural ... give yourself time to get used to it all

Thanks for the encouragement, I will wait patiently for that time to come :cool: :2tup: I must remind myself its only been a few weeks and Rome wasnt built in a day!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
dreamers-62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:

You will feel the wind knocking you around with a shield.
Yes, certainly with a short one.

Mine comes up to maybe just under my nose when I am riding...can they be adjusted to sit higher ?